Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NIOS SBT not generating elf

bpere15
Novice

Hi I am running Quartus 19.1 Lite and recently I was able to successfully build my software projects. However now when I do I get the following error

Info: Linking test.elf
nios2-elf-g++.exe -T'C:/Users/bpere/Desktop/work_fpga_folder/continupus_pulse_width2/software/test_bsp/linker.x' -msys-crt0='' -msys-lib= -LC:/Users/bpere/Desktop/work_fpga_folder/continupus_pulse_width2/software/test_bsp -msmallc -Wl,-Map=test.map -Os -g -Wall -mno-hw-div -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -mgpopt=global -o test.elf obj/default/hello_world_small.o -lm -msys-lib=m
nios2-elf-g++.exe: error: missing argument to '-msys-crt0='
nios2-elf-g++.exe: error: missing argument to '-msys-lib='
make: *** [test.elf] Error 1
Makefile:1010: recipe for target 'test.elf' failed

I have tried the solutions posted here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Nios-II-Embedded-Design-Suite/Issue-in-Nios-Eclipse-elf-not-generated...

https://community.intel.com/t5/Nios-II-Embedded-Design-Suite/EDS-on-Quartus-19-1-on-Windows-linker-e...

and they temporarily allow me to build once however a simple "hello world" project does not run correctly. Subsequent builds produces this error:

Info: Building /mnt/c/Users/bpere/Desktop/work_fpga_folder/continupus_pulse_width2/software/test2_bsp/
make --no-print-directory -C /mnt/c/Users/bpere/Desktop/work_fpga_folder/continupus_pulse_width2/software/test2_bsp/
[BSP build complete]
Info: Creating test2.objdump
nios2-elf-objdump.exe --disassemble --syms --all-header --source test2.elf >test2.objdump
nios2-elf-objdump.exe: can't disassemble for architecture UNKNOWN!

Makefile:1020: recipe for target 'test2.objdump' failed
make: *** [test2.objdump] Error 1
make: *** Deleting file 'test2.objdump'

please help

3 Replies
EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Bryant

Can you try below workarounds ?

Open a NIOS2 command shell

try and make an NIOS2 application

You get the following error: nios2-elf-gcc.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory 

To resolve this you need run the following command prior to calling make, "export WSLENV=PATH/l:${WSLENV}"

With the above fix you can compile all the files but the link fails: 

nios2-elf-g++.exe: error: missing argument to '-msys-lib='

To resolve this you need to modify the application Makefile and change the following line:

APP_LDFLAGS += -msys-lib=$(call adjust-path-mixed,$(SYS_LIB)) to APP_LDFLAGS += -msys-lib=$(SYS_LIB)

In adjust-path-mixed should not be used in this case as SYS_LIB is a name of a library not a PATH to the library

The final problem is that from eclipse debugging fails with the following error:

wslpath: /mnt/f/main_clean/Software/omni_ip/projects/wfm_ss/example/wfm/wfm_app/wfm.elf.srec: No such file or directory

wslpath: /mnt/f/main_clean/Software/omni_ip/projects/wfm_ss/example/wfm/wfm_app/wfm.elf.srec: No such file or directory

Using cable "USB-BlasterII [USB-1]", device 1, instance 0x01

Pausing target processor: OK

Restarting target processor

rm: cannot remove '/mnt/f/main_clean/Software/omni_ip/projects/wfm_ss/example/wfm/wfm_app/wfm.elf.srec': No such file or directory

To resolve this problem the Application Makefile must be modified again with the following change:

BUILD_PRE_PROCESS := to BUILD_PRE_PROCESS := touch $(ELF).srec

Thanks.

Eric

EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Bryant

Is your problem resolved ?

Eric

EricMunYew_C_Intel