Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS SDRAM and DE2 board boot

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i have a niosii using SDRAM because the memory inside cyclone ii is not sufficient. All is fine. The hardware and the software run fine but now i would like that the board boots on this project when i switch on. I found some information to make this but using flash memory but i can't understand how to do this with "only" SDRAM. May be using EPCS circuit form the DE2 board and adding EPCS controller in niosii ? Someone could help me ? 

Thanks 

Eric
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to study the Nios II Embedded Design Handbook. Chapter 3 describes how to do this in great detail. You should probably download the whole Nios II documentation package from https://www.altera.com/products/processors/support.html Pick the the zip file that corresponds to the version of Quartus you are using.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I carefully read the chapter describing "Application boot loading and programming system memory". But it still does not work as i expect so i think i misunderstand something ... 

I add EPCS serial flash controller in qsys and i select epcs_flash_controller in the nios2 reset vector and sdram_controller for the exception vector. I regenerate the sopc, restart the quartus compilation and program the device. In Eclipse, i set hal.linker.allow_code_at_reset, hal.linker.enable_alt_load, hal.linker.enable_alt_load_copy_rwdata, hal.linker.enable_alt_load_copy_exceptions and hal.linker.enable_alt_load_copy_rodata to 0. I select the bsp, right click and select make target/build and Select  

mem_init_generate, Click Build and add meminit.qip to the quartus project. I restart the quartus compilation ans program the device. 

After that in eclipse, i open the flash programmer in file/ New i select the sopcinfo file. Add the sof file and the elf file. Launch start. 

The command lines generated are :  

elf2flash --input="C:/Users/tanguy-e/Desktop/test-projet-M1/partie-5/software/test_nios2/test_nios2.elf" --output="C:/Users/tanguy-e/Desktop/test-projet-M1/partie-5/flash/test_nios2_epcs_flash_controller_0.flash" --epcs --after="C:/Users/tanguy-e/Desktop/test-projet-M1/partie-5/flash/premier_nios2_epcs_flash_controller_0.flash" --verbose  

nios2-flash-programmer "C:/Users/tanguy-e/Desktop/test-projet-M1/partie-5/flash/test_nios2_epcs_flash_controller_0.flash" --base=0x1001000 --epcs --sidp=0x1002050 --id=0x1 --timestamp=1466410227 --device=1 --instance=0 '--cable=USB-Blaster on localhost [USB-0]' --program --verbose --go  

The card seems to boot the nios2 processor but not the program because nothing happens. 

What i do wrong ? 

Thanks 

Eric
0 Kudos