Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

NIOS flash programmer question.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I'm having trouble understanding the EPCS flash controller. I use Quartus-II / NIOS version 8.1 build 163. I need to stay at 

this version because of legacy systems. 

- I have a previous design using a Stratix-II with an EPCS64. I successfully have it copying the EPCS64 image into local SRAM 

and run both FPGA configuration and NIOS software [using the uCOS-II OS]. No problems, the mechanism works just fine. 

- My newer design uses a Stratix-III with a EPCS64. When I try and use the NIOS flash programmer to do the same, it complains 

that my input file is too big. In Quartus-II, the configuration scheme is 'active serial' and device is set for EPCS64 [as it is with 

the Stratix-II FPGA]. I've also tried to make the FPGA configuration and NIOS application smaller, but with the same results. 

Is there anything different that I should consider or settings when using these different FPGA's ?  

Please advise, thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is compression enable for the sof image?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply, sorry for my delayed response. 

Under Settings->Device->Device and Pin Options->Configuration, the 'Generate compressed bitstreams' is checked. Is this what you mean ? 

Thanks again,
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I recall there is also an option for compressing the sof in the flash programmer GUI.