Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12422 Discussions

NIOS version that runs "count binary" template on Altera DE2-115 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am looking for a NIOS design that I can program on my Altera DE2-115 board (using Quartus II V14.0) on which I then run the "count binary" template that is part of the NIOS-Eclipse IDE. I am currently using a NIOS design that is part of one of the demo projects that come with the DE2-115 board (the USB device project), and with this NIOS design, I can see the counter counting on stout (via JTAGUART), but not on the board LEDs, 7-segment displays, or LCD display. 

Thank you for your help, 

Solaris
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can add PIO (Parallel I/O) megafunction to your QSYS and connect LEDs to NIOS this way. The value will be transferred to the FPGA pins and the LEDs will be turned on/off according calculation result. With a little modification of your C code and connection to the right FPGA pins (export interface from QSYS) it will work fine. For 7-segment display you need to write a bit more C code, to decode the value and turn on/off the needed segments of 7-segment elements. Unfortunatelly I am not familiar with this particular board and its LCD display.