Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS2 Command Shell

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,  

does somebody know if exist some instalation package with only NIOS2 Command shell for running nios2-terminal, nios2-download, elf2flash, sof2flash and nios2-programmer ? 

I need only these 5 utils for my work on my old notebook and for testing my software in uClinux. 

Is something like this or I must always install Quartus and NIOS2EDS ?  

If I must install Quartus and NIOS2EDS where can I find the first function version ? (5.0 ?) 

Thank you very much. 

Jan Naceradsky, Czech Republic
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think at a minimum you would need to install the Nios II EDS and standalone JTAG programmer. I'm not sure if the Nios II EDS installer will let you install it without Quartus II installed though. You need to JTAG programmer so that nios2-download will work. I would give it a shot and see if it works, post your results here with what you find out.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. 

I tried at work install NIOS II EDS and it reported me, that I must install Quartus II sw. (but it was version 9.1 or 11.0 webpack edition) ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There must be some dependencies between the EDS and Quartus II still then (probably Tcl, Java, shared libraries, etc...) 

You can install Quartus II without device support, not exactly what you are looking for but it's a start.
0 Kudos