Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

NIOS2 gcc c++ standard library

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi there, 

i am using Quartus 16.1 with gcc version 5.3. If i want to compile a simple project with c++ standard libraries, i'll get a linker error that the memory size is about 615000Bytes too small. That happens with also with all others STL containers. Has anyone else this problem or had anyone similar issues? 

I dont know what other information i can give you to explain why this happens, but no clue. I made a BSP, compiled it (no errors) and made a new NIOS Application and tried to use std::string -> error. If i make a C++ Application without strings everything is fine.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. If maybe more info is needed say so :) 

Thanks! 

Edit: 

main.cpp looks like this: 

#include <string> using namespace std; int main() { string s = "Hello World!"; return 0; } 

Edit2: 

Maybe I should ask differently: Has anybody experience with developing software for the NIOS II target in C++ and has used some of the STL containers / strings? And maybe knows if there were some special settings that had to be made?
0 Kudos
0 Replies