Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

NIOSII MAX V Device Compatibility

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , I am trying to find the exact answer as to NIOSII device compatibility.  

We have a MAX V 5M570 device on-board and I am looking to use it for embedded test during manufacturing process only. Once tested it would be configured with the product code. While it looks like MAX 10 devices would be compatible the info I've found suggests MAX V devices will not work with NIOS II soft-processor. Can someone give me a definitive answer as to whether I can embed NIOSII on the 5M570 device ? 

Many thanks, 

Mark.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I haven't seen examples of NIOSII being used in a MAX V. The NIOSII performance documents list the smallest nios using 264 to 786 LEs depending on the FPGA family. There are no listings for MAX V or MAX 10 devices. Based on the size of the MAX V SM750, you probably can't fit one and have any room left over. Might as well use a microcontroller in that case. I have seen youtube videos that use NIOS in MAX 10 devices, so they must be big enough.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

NIOS and MAX V aren't compatible. You'll need to brainstorm on how to achieve your goal some other way. If you're doing what I think you're doing, you can probably get most of it done via System Console TCL scripts using a JTAG master and some PIO instances. i.e. do you really need the CPU in the MAX V or can it be on your PC ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi - Sort of what I had thought but good to get it confirmed. Yes I'll have to get round it another way or persuade the design to use a MAX 10 device. Have used the PicoBlaze as embedded test controller on another project and that worked well so was hoping to use Nios on this Altera design. Oh well back to the drawing board .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are some small CPUs on the opencores.org site. You might check them out as well.

0 Kudos