Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Need help changing from Eclipse Console to HyperTerm or Putty

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have some SW running on NIOS II Stratix IV board on Eclipse. Now I want to use 

a standalone Hyper-Terminal or Putty. I did it once in Xilinx, but now HyperTerm is 

not available on Windows 7 and I don't know how to change from Eclipse console 

to this other terminal. Where do I change the stdio, etc. Can someone help?:( 

Thanks, 

Shvitzer
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can change the stdin/stdout/stderr in the BSP Editor. Right click on your BSP, select "Nios II > BSP Editor...", Then you can select which device to send stdin/out to.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks ! Have you used Putty or any other Terminal-Emulator this way? It has to be USB compatible though. I used Putty in the past but with an RS232 UART and COMx port. 

I am not sure Putty is suitable for this. This will have to work in standalone more. I have no experience on this with Altera. 

Cheers, 

S.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In regards to the nios, I've only used the jtag uart/nios2-terminal. If you have a standard uart peripheral, attached to an rs232 chip, it should work with any standard terminal program, like putty or teraterm. I've used both putty and teraterm with USB to serial converters without issue in the past to connect to various serial devices.  

Cheers
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, the NIOS2 design is using only a jtag uart and the dev.board has only one USB connector. The PC also has only USB connectors so how do I mate the Tera Term to the USB connector on the PC and from there to the USB on the dev. board? 

Can the Tera Term be configured to communicate via USB?  

Thanks, 

S.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ahhh... if you're using the jtag uart, then I believe you're stuck with using Altera's nios2-terminal/EDS, unless someone else knows a fancy trick. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The JTAG UART core supports all Altera® device families. The JTAG UART core is  

supported by the Nios II hardware abstraction layer (HAL) system library.  

To view the character stream on the host PC, the JTAG UART core must be used in  

conjunction with the JTAG terminal software provided by Altera. Nios II processor  

users access the JTAG UART via the Nios II IDE or the nios2-terminal command-line  

utility. 

*http://www.altera.com.cn/literature/hb/nios2/n2cpu_nii51009.pdf 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos