Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12452 Discussions

Need source or wrapper to rebuild sdl_hub.ko

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to use the remote debugging feature for system level debug on a Cyclone V per Altera App note 693. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an_693.pdf 

It calls out a download that includes a pre-compiled sld_hub.ko kernel module. The problem is that I have rebuilt the kernel (and am actually using v3.12). Which kernel was this compiled for? The .zip file doesn't contain any versioning information at all. Is there a repository for older kernels (we have a customer on 3.8 and another using 3.12). What configuration or kernel APIs are required? I am trying to use this with a custom board, so I am fairly certain the module won't load without rebuilding it against my kernel tree. 

How do I do this? 

Kernel modules, at least some level of wrapper for them to support linking against a specific kernel version, are supposed to be open-source. I appreciate the desire to keep the specific JTAG interface proprietary (though I don't fully understand what real benefit that provides), but this app note seems fairly useless if you aren't using the exact kernel version supplied by the GRHD. 

Thanks. 

-Mike
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Bump. 

The kernel referred to in AN693 is not available on the rocket boards git tree. 

How do i use the sld hub component with the 3.13 kernel? 

Andrew