Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

New Component Editor...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can someone tell where to find Documentation on the New Component Editor? 

It's the new way to add custom peripherals, but is not mentioned in the Jan 2005 "Hardware Development Tutorial" or any other document I can find. Normally I would expect to right-click on the item in the SOPC Builder component tree and go right to the .pdf.  

I'm particularly trying to rerun the Componet Editor with my new component to try and learn how it works. 

I'm a little vague on the new Interface collumn in the signals list and would like an explanation of how the SW Files are used.  

An example would be nice. Perhaps if I can rerun the editor on an existing component I can use any or all of the included components as examples? 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tap Tap.... Is this thing on? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

Ok, the added New Components can be editted/reedited by right-clicking on the new component in the User Logic section. Fine. 

But here are some bugs I believe. (might be user error) 

Odd Behavior 1 - Missing IRQ: 

My Component has a signal of type irq_n, but the signal was not surfaced in the .bdf. In looking at the .ptf, the IRQ signal is clearly in the port list. BUT, the setting Has_IRQ is set to "0". My guess is that Has_IRQ should be "1" if a signal of type irq or irq_n are present. (?) 

Odd Behavior 2 - Improper Timing Units: 

The unit are selected as ns in the Wizard, but come out as cycles. 

I would appreciate some guidance on Bug 1, as I&#39;m not sure simply editting the Has_IRQ is a enough. I see in my old working system.ptf that there is more IRQ stuff when Has_IRQ is "1". 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it&#39;s on :-) 

component editor is part of Sopc Builder not Nios II, can you check the Quartus II docs (online?). 

I&#39;ll see what else I can find out for you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried the help arrows in the GUI? 

also a doc is being written as I type (not by me).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Kerri, 

I&#39;ve pretty much gotten past basic usage. I still don&#39;t know the best way to correct the missing IRQ signal. The units bug isn&#39;t a big deal, except if we enter cycles now, but the units are selected as ns, then when the bug gets fixed we&#39;ll have to remember to reset timing. 

Is it enough to simply turn on the Has_IRQ flag and re-add the component? 

One thing I noticed was that this missing IRQ signal only happens to Tristate Slaves. 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ken and others:  

SOPC Builder component editor documentation is coming in about a month. In fact, a full SOPC Builder handbook is scheduled to hit Altera&#39;s website in the second week of February. Content will be available under the literature section on the sopc builder homepage (http://www.altera.com/sopcbuilder).  

Unfortunately, this documentation did not make the train for the Quartus II v4.2 release, but this problem will be remedied shortly. 

Now you have something to look forward to for Saint Valentine&#39;s day! 

Matthew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by kenland@Jan 14 2005, 08:06 PM 

the unit are selected as ns in the wizard, but come out as cycles. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Ken, 

you have to reselect the &#39;ns&#39; field after you entered the values. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mike, 

You&#39;re right, the second time it works, but I had to get out and reload the Component. 

Kerri, 

Can I get some guidance on the Has_IRQ on the TriState Component? Should I bundle it up and send it in? 

Mathew, 

You go boy! I suggest verifying your docs as you go and providing user feedback to the developer(s) as you go. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Kerri, 

I tried manually editting the class.ptf file and setting HAS_IRQ to "1" and readding the component to my design. It didn&#39;t help. Still no IRQ emerging from the SOPC block. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Update. If I added new instances of my tristate memory slave component unaltered from the Wizard, then no IRQ signal was surfaced. If I editted the class.ptf by hand and changed Has_IRQ to "1" and added another instance then it didn&#39;t surface IRQ either. 

BUT, when I removed all instances and readded one then IRQ surfaced.  

Might want to fix that for the next service paq.  

Now to see if I can access the Component from HAL/NiosII... 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos