Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

New to FPGA, SoPC, NIOS II and quartus 18

meletchirino
Beginner

Hello everyone!

Im a student engineer and im learning to use FPGA intel with DE0-Nano board. Everything was working allright until I realized I have to write some code in C. Im not new to C but my code seems to be too large to fit the onchip memory (RAM).  I reduced my code and now I find those errors:

nios2-elf-g++  -T'../new_try_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../new_try_bsp//obj/HAL/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L../new_try_bsp/   -Wl,-Map=new_try.map   -O0 -g -Wall   -mno-hw-div -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -mgpopt=global  -o new_try.elf obj/default/hello_world.o -lm -msys-lib=m
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x80e5d0 of new_try.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x810190 of new_try.elf section `.bss' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x80e5d0 of new_try.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x810190 of new_try.elf section `.bss' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'

I already checked linker.x file in BSP and it has the correct onchip memory addresses. Does anyone know how do I solve this?

Also, Ram memory doesnt seem to be the right option to fit the code Im trying to do so Can I try using any kind of flash memory  to store and run the code while onchip memory is used to store variables?

I thank you any help and be kind with non english sepakers. Love you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you check on this example:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii5v2.pdf#pa...

And let me know if the problem still persists.