Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12597 Discussions

New to FPGA, SoPC, NIOS II and quartus 18

meletchirino
Beginner

Hello everyone!

Im a student engineer and im learning to use FPGA intel with DE0-Nano board. Everything was working allright until I realized I have to write some code in C. Im not new to C but my code seems to be too large to fit the onchip memory (RAM).  I reduced my code and now I find those errors:

nios2-elf-g++  -T'../new_try_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../new_try_bsp//obj/HAL/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L../new_try_bsp/   -Wl,-Map=new_try.map   -O0 -g -Wall   -mno-hw-div -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -mgpopt=global  -o new_try.elf obj/default/hello_world.o -lm -msys-lib=m
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x80e5d0 of new_try.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x810190 of new_try.elf section `.bss' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x80e5d0 of new_try.elf section `.rwdata' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'
c:/intelfpga_lite/18.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-x86_64-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/5.3.0/../../../../../H-x86_64-mingw32/nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: address 0x810190 of new_try.elf section `.bss' is not within region `onchip_memory2_0'

I already checked linker.x file in BSP and it has the correct onchip memory addresses. Does anyone know how do I solve this?

Also, Ram memory doesnt seem to be the right option to fit the code Im trying to do so Can I try using any kind of flash memory  to store and run the code while onchip memory is used to store variables?

I thank you any help and be kind with non english sepakers. Love you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Can you check on this example:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii5v2.pdf#page=68

And let me know if the problem still persists.

0 Kudos