Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Newlib getc() hangs the program

AAndyy
Beginner

Using the web edition of Quartus Prime rev 18.1 .

Implementing a NIOS II based design in a Max10 chip.

Using the standard C library function calls that Newlib supports.

I have verified that getc() (and maybe other character  handling functions) hangs the program. I know this from using hardware strobes that the program asserts immediately prior to getc() and deasserts immediately after getc(). I monitor these strobes on an o'scope.   getc() never returns!    But the problem is not consistent. Sometimes getc() works, sometimes it doesn't. 

Using a UART implemented in the Platform Designer tool. This UART communicates with external system, not stdin or stdout.

Please help!!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Did you use any example design? OR did you create your own?

Did you received any error when generating a Makefile?

0 Kudos
AAndyy
Beginner

This is a custom design.

I don't recall any error when generating the makefile....what sort of error would you expect to see?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Could you share the build log for the newlib? I presume it was successful/completed based on your description. And the issue is related to its functionality of your custom design. Is the issue also with other designs or any example design that you have tried? OR is it only on a particular custom design that you have tested?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Any update from your side?

0 Kudos