Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

NicheStack - changing IP address without rebooting

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

is there a way of changing IP address of the Nios2 without rebooting the whole Nios? 

Looking through the sources of iniche I can see there is only a alt_iniche_init() procedure, but nothing for shutting it down or re-starting it...  

So far I have tried something like 

tse_mac_close(0); delete_network_tasks(); netmain(); create_network_tasks();  

but instead of closing and reopening the same interface, it "discovers" a 2nd interface  

.................................... prep_tse_mac 0 Your Ethernet MAC address is 00:07:35:04:b2:77 Static IP Address is 172.16.100.81 prepped 1 interface, initializing... .................................... iniche restart triggered... Deleting network tasks...DONE InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 Copyright 1996-2008 by InterNiche Technologies. All rights reserved. prep_tse_mac 1 Your Ethernet MAC address is 00:07:35:04:b2:77 Static IP Address is 172.16.100.64 prepped 2 interfaces, initializing... ....................................  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe you're looking for ni_set_config(). See net.h and iface.c in the iniche files. 

/* FUNCTION: ni_set_config() * * set IP address and subnet for a particular device. * * PARAM1: NET ifp * PARAM2: struct niconfig_0 * cfg * * RETURNS: 0 */
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, that worked nicely (and seems safer than this solution (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24101)).

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I'm reviving this thread with a follow-up question:  

is it possible to change the mac address on the fly in nichestack? 

I didn't consider this need at start, but yesterday I configured on a system a MAC address (possibly a reserved group) and subsequently was unable to access it via switched network.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I believe you're looking for ni_set_config(). See net.h and iface.c in the iniche files. 

/* FUNCTION: ni_set_config() * * set IP address and subnet for a particular device. * * PARAM1: NET ifp * PARAM2: struct niconfig_0 * cfg * * RETURNS: 0 */  

--- Quote End ---  

the proposed solution worked just fine until I realized I need the possibility to change the gateway as well. Are you aware of any such function to allow me that?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You probably need to write your own function to do that, as it doesn't look like there is one around already.