Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Nios 2 can't locate the USB Cable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I made a testing system for my LCD with the SOPC builder. I was able to program and verify it as well in Eclipse. However when I started my PC today, I saw that the C program can not run, since under "Run Configurations" no cables were found. I tried to hit the "Refresh Connections" button multiple times, since it usually works. But no use.. Meanwhile I noticed that my other Nios projects also fail to execute due to the very same reason. Anybody knows what's going on? What shall I do? 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume you mean the Nios IDE can't find the USB Blaster cable? I've had that problem often, I think it's just a quirk with the EDS. I found that just closing down the IDE and restarting it usually fixes the problem. I've also had the jtag interface lock up if I run the jtag uart interface and leave it idle for awhile - the only way I can fix it is to completely close and reopen all of my Altera software. 

Sometimes I can get the CLI tools to work if the IDE is acting up. i.e. nios2-download and nios2-terminal.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. I tried that multiple times, also restarting the computer and running as administrator and so on.. But none of these worked. The board is OK, because I can run pure VHDL designs which do not include software. But when power on the board and open the nios2 shell and type "nios2-terminal", it says the following: 

"There are no JTAG UARTs available which match the --device and --instance options you provided". I have googled these also but nothing useful. Any idea how to solve this?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Assuming you're running windows, do you see Altera USB-Blaster in your device manager (under Universal Serial Bus Controllers)? Does the Quartus II programmer recognize your programmer? You could try removing the driver and reinstalling it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quarus recognizes it. I also reinstalled it and still nothing changed. It's pretty annoying.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok I double checked that a Jtag Uart component is present in the SOPC builder. I am certainly not downloading a wrong sopc info file. And the board is not defected since I can throw in pure VHDL designs and verify these. So what else can it be? I am about to go crazy. Please help :S

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried just a simple design, with a nios/e, onchip ram with instruction and data lines hooked up, and a jtag uart? Are you sure your clock and reset lines are correct going to the system?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. Actually I was able to run this project yesterday and everything was fine. Today I turned on my PC and I can not "Run as Hardware" in NIOS IDE. I am sure that I did not change anything in the project. What am I missing?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, as I mentioned before, I do sometimes get that message when trying to run the program from the IDE. In this state, can you download your elf via the cli using nios2-download?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I run it from the cli, it gives the following output. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6637  

Any ideas on what to do?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you so much for your help, but I guess a clean start can cover up the possible mess I made. So re-installed the software and problem got solved finally.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad you got it working. 

Cheers.