Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12454 Discussions

Nios 2 communication without using nios2-terminal

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a board with a NIOS 2 processor connected to a Lnux PC through a USB Blaster cable. 

I know all the commands for the NIOS 2 and I can communicate from the Linux PC using the nios2-terminal. 

However I need to create an external application (in the Linux host PC) that communicate with Nios 2 in order to create a go-no-go GUI tester application that check the boards FPGAs. 

Is it possible to create such communication without using the nios2-terminal? 

I mean a c/c++ based application that perform direct communication with the Nios 2 processor through the USB Blaster cable connection. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most dev boards have a serial connection as well as the USB blaster. Usually these are an FTDI or similar serial to USB converter chip. Connect a USB cable from that port to your computer. The port will usually show up in the linux /dev directory. Hint: Do "ls /dev" before and after connecting the cable. The entry that appears when the cable is connected is your serial device. Use standard linux seral port programming from there. Another hint: The command "stty < /dev/<whatever>" will tell you the baud rate etc that the port is set to.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since you're using a Linux host, you could also simply use popen() around nios2-terminal  

Depending on the scope of your application, you could probably also accomplish the same task via the dashboard GUI elements (Tcl/Tk) in System Console.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Galfonz, Thanks for your replay. 

I have a USB Blaster download cable which is connected to the board with a 10 pin connector and to the host side with USB connection. 

When I connect the cable I only can see a USB connection and there is no serial connection, both in Linux and in Windows 7. 

There is any option to set it as serial port? 

Thanks, 

Gabriel.