Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

Nios Ethernet elf download error

ZKhan1
Novice

Hi there ,

I am trying to run a simple loopback design using Triple Speed Ethernet on DE2-115 board . following this doc "Using Triple-Speed Ethernet on DE2-115 Boards". 

When i try to download and run the Nios app i get this error "Elf download failed" , from the previous threads on this subject i checked that my sys reset is connected to the locked output of PLL , which get high ( logic 1 ) right after .soc download , so no problem there .

Also i have connected set_10_n to en_10 and set_1000 to en_mode_n , because as i have read in Triple-Speed Ethernet Intel® FPGA IP User Guide, Updated for Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Suite: 19.4'IP Version: 19.4.0 .

That : @ page 109 :

set_1000 = Gigabit mode selection. Can be driven to 1 by an external device, for example a
PHY device, to set the MAC function to operate in gigabit. When set to 0, the MAC
is set to operate in 10/100 Mbps. This signal is ignored when the ETH_SPEED bit in
the command_config register is set to 1.

Same for set_10 .

I am using Quartus ver 16.0 . See project attached .

Regards , Ahmed 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ZKhan1
Novice

I have also tried to delete the Nios Workspace and Nios software folder and generated a new Nios project , several times to get rid of this error , but it didnt work ???

Any clues ??

EricMunYew_C_Intel

Hi, Khan

did you load the FPGA bitfile?

ZKhan1
Novice

you mean .sof file yes , i always downloaded that first before running Nios app from Ecplise 

EricMunYew_C_Intel

Can you try Quartus 16.1.

EricMunYew_C_Intel

can you uncheck initialize memory content of your on-chip RAM.

RadicalExponent
Beginner

Hey,

I am experiencing the same problem with my project at the moment.
Using Quartus 18.0 (but also tried earlier versions like 16.0, 15.0, 13.0, standard each).
I came to recognize that, for a short while, there is an error message referencing some wrapper script
as can be seen in the image.
Trying to download only one file results in the same error.

EDIT: Little sidenote: Using the Nios II Command Shell and the command nios2-download worked fine...