Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Nios: Hardwire or programmed on stratix chip ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I don't know if someone can respond to me, but it will be very appreciate. 

I have a stratix developpement board. The one I have is a bit old, it came wit version 3 of Quartus II. I can have Quartus II version 4, but it will do no good for me if I don't have a Nios II on my chip (so I think). 

So the real question is : The Nios processor is a) hardwired on the chip, or b) programmed by Quartus on it when needed. 

If it is programmed, in my knowledge the version 4 of Quartus II will program the Nios II processor. 

Thanks for all information.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's a soft processor, so it is created by SOPC builder and is synthesised by Quartus for later programming into the chip. 

I can't remember which was the first version of Quartus II which supported Nios II, but I think it was 4.0 SP1. You need to use a Nios II kit which matches your Quartus.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What exactly do you means by you need to use a nios ii kit which matches your quartus

In installing Quartus II and its tools, you don't have all this ? What else do I need ? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to install the "Nios II processor tools" software, which include the compiler, linker, debugger, IDE and some embedded software to run on it. 

See http://www.altera.com/support/ip/processor...s2_support.html (http://www.altera.com/support/ip/processors/nios2/ips-nios2_support.html

There is an evaluation edition which is installed with recent builds of Quartus, which you can use for development - if you haven't got this then you can download it from the web (see the download link on the page above).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks

0 Kudos