Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

‘Nios II Application and BSP from Template’ not available

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am new in this forum; I have checked but apparently nobody had a problem similar to mine: 

I installed the Quartus Web Edition, which includes NIOS II 11.1sp2 Software Build Tools for Eclipse. I read in the user manual that it is possible to create an application by pointing to ‘New’ on the ‘File’ menu and then doing click on ‘Nios II Application and BSP from Template’; however I cannot find that option when using the Nios Software build Tool included with the Quartus software. How can I solve this? I tried creating a normal C++ project, but then I cannot assign the Quartus .sopcinfo file to the project. 

Does someone know how I can solve this?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi i have the same problem if u sove it tell me how plz

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

if you click on file new, does eclipse provide any NIOS related options? 

In my version (9.2) eclipse gives me the choice between 4 different project types. 

Anyhow, is there an option/folder for NIOS to if you click on File->new->Other? 

Maybe its just not showing by default in the selection. 

Let me know if it worked. 

Have a nice weekend
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having a similar problem - I am in the NIOS perspective, but can see no difference. 

File->new->Other shows : 

General 

C/C++ 

CSV 

Tasks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I re-open Eclipse with a new working directory, I do not get <Nios II> as a perspective option.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Likely an installation error...I've never seen this...also be sure that the web edition actually does support what you think it does...and file a case with Altera support.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

hm that's odd.  

I changed my workspace several times and never had this issue, seems that eclipse isn't loading the altera plugin. 

Maybe you'll get some hints, when you open your NIOS EDS from the cmd in Windows, maybe even with a verbose option or something.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just tried un-installing and -re-installing Quartus & Nios, but no change ....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Maybe you'll get some hints, when you open your NIOS EDS from the cmd in Windows, maybe even with a verbose option or something. 

--- Quote End ---  

OK, I tracked down the eclipse-nios2.exe file, and ran it from a windows command shell - it just launches it and then get a new prompt in the shell, while the program keeps running. 

Not sure about a verbose option .... seems to ignore all flags.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see the following on my partner's XP system, for the Eclipse menu bar : 

File, Edit, Navigate, Search, Project, Run, NiosII, Window, Help. 

On my Windows 7 64 bit laptop I see : 

File, Edit, Source, Refractor, Navigate, Search, Run, Project, Window, Help. 

I remember the NiosII entry was originally there ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try to uninstall EDS AND manually delete the remaining folder before reinstall EDS.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try running NIOS II EDS with "Run As Administrator" method. 

Looks like it requires Administrator rights when run for the first time ... 

Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

aha ur running under win7, which Quartus version are u using? 

Here i'm running Quartus 9.1 under WinXp, but at another PC with Win7 i needed to install Quartus 11 to get the NIOS environment running.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just last week we had this similar problem in Windows 7 64-bit workstation with a fresh Quartus II 11.1sp1 installation, all NIOS II related menu items and perspective were missing. 

Then we ran the NIOS EDS with Run As Administator method and all the NIOS II items were available. 

After that there was no need to use that Run As Administrator method anymore, all the NIOS II items were available when the NIOS EDS was started normally ... 

Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have un-installed all Altera packages, wiped all remaining Altera files, re-booted, and re-installed.  

Now I get the NIOSII menu items.  

Can create the BSP but still having trouble creating the application.  

At the moment it is failing to find main.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

i get this message a lot and normally my project runs fine anyway. 

Is an .elf file created if you compile?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problems I was having appear to be due to being on a Windows 7 64 bit system, and having pre-existing earlier Altera systems. 

First problem : Eclipse does not connect to the NiosII systems at all. 

Second problem (when it does connect) it produces a .bsp but no application, , no .c file, no .elf. 

This is what I have found : 

If working in Windows 7 64bit : 

If you don't see a NiosII menu item on the Eclipse IDE, 

or File => Run -> Nios II C/C++ Application and BSP from Template : 

Un-install ALL Altera packages, delete ALL Altera files, reboot, re-install NiosII with Eclipse. 

Then one should have the NiosII menu items, including "Nios II C/C++ Application and BSP from Template". 

If you get a .bsp but no application : 

Run Eclipse in XP sp2 compatibility mode. Set administrator privileges if you don't already have them. Say yes if you get a run confirm window.  

Then run "Nios II C/C++ Application and BSP from Template". 

Should now run through OK.  

Build Application (right click). 

Use NiosII => Quartus II Programmer menu item to connect to hardware, upload .sof file. 

Run application as NiosII Hardware, making sure you refresh the USB connection if needed (on extreme right of window if pops up). 

Should now run OK.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot, 

I was thinking of downloading QV12 sp2 :( 

The real problem was administrator privilege , once you run in admin mode 

things are working fine:).
0 Kudos