Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Nios II EDS: mem_init_generate failing

DWolf
Beginner

Hi,

Yesterday I was able to generate a .hex file for my onchip flash memory contents, but today when I run the mem_init_generate make target it's giving me an error.

Here is the console output:

wsl make mem_init_generate 

Info: Building /mnt/e/repos/Vx834_LRF/FPGA/TestBoard/software/Vx834_LRF_bsp/

make --no-print-directory -C /mnt/e/repos/Vx834_LRF/FPGA/TestBoard/software/Vx834_LRF_bsp/

[BSP build complete]

Post-processing to create mem_init/onchip_flash_0.hex...

alt-file-convert.exe -I elf32-littlenios2 -O hex --input=Vx834_LRF.elf --output=mem_init/onchip_flash_0.hex --base=0x00020000 --end=0x0003c7ff --reset=0x00020000 --out-data-width=8 --boot="/mnt/e/intelfpga_lite/19.1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec"

Apr 9, 2020 11:41:43 AM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Read error: File not found: /mnt/e/intelfpga_lite/19.1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec

Apr 9, 2020 11:41:43 AM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error reading boot copier

Apr 9, 2020 11:41:43 AM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error generating Flash file, exiting

nios2-elf-objcopy: 'C:\Users\devin\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp3_iay72c': No such file

Converting Nios II ELF file to HEX file. Appending boot file.

Post-processing to create onchip_flash_0.flash...

elf2flash.exe --input=Vx834_LRF.elf --output=onchip_flash_0.flash --sim_optimize=0 --base=0x00020000 --end=0x0003c7ff --reset=0x00020000 --boot="/mnt/e/intelfpga_lite/19.1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec"

Apr 9, 2020 11:41:43 AM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Read error: File not found: /mnt/e/intelfpga_lite/19.1/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec

Apr 9, 2020 11:41:43 AM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error reading boot copier

Apr 9, 2020 11:41:43 AM - (SEVERE) elf2flash: Error generating Flash file, exiting

make: *** [onchip_flash_0.flash] Error 5

/mnt/e/repos/Vx834_LRF/FPGA/TestBoard/software/Vx834_LRF_bsp/mem_init.mk:359: recipe for target 'onchip_flash_0.flash' failed

elf2flash is throwing an error saying that "boot_loader_cfi.srec" can't be found, but the file exists in the specified directory. If I open wsl and enter the directory as specified, I can see the file just fine.

I googled various permutations of the error message. The only thing I found that was matching was something from ~2009, applicable to the first gen Nios processor, saying you need to run the SOPC Builder, but I don't think this is applicable here.

Any idea what is going on?

-Devin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JLee25
Novice

Hi Devin,

I am facing the same issue.

Did your problem got resolved ?

BRs,

Johnson

0 Kudos
DWolf
Beginner

Not yet, just started working on something else for a bit to see if I got any replies. Gonna take another crack at it, maybe later today. I'll post if I get any results.

0 Kudos
JLee25
Novice

Hi Devin,

Thanks for the reply and hope you have good news to share.

I found a link about how to generate the flash manually by using alt-file-convert.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/embedded/2020/severe--elf2flash--read-error--file-not-found---mnt-c-intelfpgap.html?wapkw=alt-file-convert

I tried but not work..

Because I don't know how to use this program...

FYI!

BRs,

Johnson

0 Kudos
DWolf
Beginner

Capture.JPGI tried using the method in the link, by copying the boot_loader_cfi.srec file to my Nios II software directory and running alt-file-convert.exe through the Nios command line. This is the error I received. It seems suspiciously similar to the old error. Unfortunately, the output of the executable is ambiguous as to which file it could not find, the .ELF or the bootloader, although I suspect that it is the bootloader. I tried omitting the --boot option from the executable arguments, and got a different error - "must be str, not NoneType".

If I can't convert my .ELF file to a hex, I'm kind of dead in the water with my design. Can someone else please weigh in on this?

-Devin

0 Kudos
JLee25
Novice

Hi Devin,

I tried the link and generate the hex file successfully.

But for unknown reason, my Nios 2 does not boot after programming.

I noticed minor difference between your setting and mine.

Anyway, i attached my command below for your reference,

hex_gen.jpg

FYI!

BRs,

Johnson

0 Kudos
ppauli
Beginner

Hit this error also.

It seems that there is some file path problems between Windows and linux subsystem.

Found out a workaround by making a copy of bootloader_cfi.srec to eclipse workspace directory and making modification to BOOT_LOADER_CFI in bsp mem_init.mk file.

#BOOT_LOADER_CFI ?= $(BOOT_LOADER_PATH)/boot_loader_cfi.srec
BOOT_LOADER_CFI ?= ../boot_loader_cfi.srec

(Nios project and bsp are directly under workspace)

edit: --

alt-file-convert.exe seems to want a windows path for --boot option (in windows machines), as mem_init.mk BOOT_LOADER_CFI modification to windows path removes error:

BOOT_LOADER_CFI ?= "'C:\intelFPGA\19.1\nios2eds\components\altera_nios2\boot_loader_cfi.srec'"

---

With this modification the mem_init_generate runs and there is a flash hex file which content seems to be correct (real world booting not tested yet)

-Pauli-

0 Kudos
diwi
Beginner

Hi @ppauli ,

many thanks for this solution!

I am facing this issue with Quartus Prime Pro 19.3 as well. Your fix seems to work. I did not verified on a target, yet.

Is this issue fixed in newer Versions of Quartus Prime? Is there an official solution provided by Intel?

BR, Dirk

0 Kudos