Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Nios II Eclipse in Windows 10

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just got a new machine with Windows 10 64-bit. I previously had win 7 64 bit installed with Quartus prime 15.1 installed. I tried installing Quartus prime 15.1 on the windows 10 box. It installed. I found i had to apply the Cygwin patch as mentioned below 

Updating Cygwin for Quartus II 13.1 on Windows 8.1  

There is a compatibility issue that causes old versions of Cygwin to fail to run on Windows 8.1. This affects all of Altera’s tools that use Cygwin, such as Altera Monitor Program and Nios II EDS. To solve this issue, the Cygwin that is installed with Quartus II must be updated as follows:  

• Download the patch at ftp://ftp.intel.com/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Cygwin_Patch/ 
  • Extract the contents of cygwin_patch.zip to your Quartus II install directory, overwriting existing files. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Cygwin are included in the zip file; extract both of these versions to your Quartus II install folder. The default path to the Quartus II install folder is “C:\altera\13.1\quartus”. 

I did this only for version 15.1. It seems to work for the Quartus portion, it compiles. However, Nios does not compile properly. It says  

make: *** [program_name.elf] Error 2 

make: *** Deleting file `program_name.elf'  

It doesn't give any other information. Has anyone else had success with Nios in windows 10?  

Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mark, 

This error happens when you try to compile your project and there are no entries in the problems tab? 

In the console tab select the CDT Global Build console (default top right corner). There you should see why Error 2 is happening. 

Greetings, 

Eggi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Switching to CDT Global Build Console did not give any more detailed information about what the error was. It still does not compile properly using the Build All functionality within the Nios II application. within the build console, it failed after the nios2-elf-insert command so I put that command and al associated text into a .sh file and ran a source on the file within the command shell. It failed stating the elf file doesn't exist. I then put the previous command, nios2-elf-g++, and all associated text into the .sh file and performed a source on that within the command console. The elf file and binaries were finally created. So now in order to obtain an elf file within windows 10, I have to perform a build all, then run a source command within the command console on a .sh file with the nios2-elf-insert command and the nios2-elf-g++ command within the file and then the elf file is not deleted after creation. It is rather annoying but not a problem. If anyone knows of a non round about solution I am still waiting. 

Thank you, 

Mark
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Mark, 

Did you solve the annoyance at the end?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I still have to perform a build all and then run the .sh file as described above in the command shell in order to produce a .elf file. I also had to add a elf2hex command and a alt-file-convert command to the .sh file in order to produce a .hex file because the make targets mem_init_generate doesn't work properly in windows 10 either.

0 Kudos
Tim10
Beginner

Hi, I've just encountered the same problem on Windows 10 64-bit. Are there any fixes for it yet? Thanks.

0 Kudos