Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Nios II Hardware Development Tutorial problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working through the Nios II Hardware Development Tutorial (TU-N2HWDV-4.0, May 2011) using Quartus II version 11.1 sp1 build 216. I am using these instructions and project files: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/tt/tt_nios2_hardware_tutorial.pdf 

http://www.altera.com/literature/tt/niosii_hw_dev_tutorial.zip 

When I get to page 1-25, in the section "Instantiate the Qsys System Module in the Quartus II Project", there is no symbol for the Nios II system to select and place in the .bdf schematic. 

Looking further into it, in the previous section using the Qsys tool, when I press the "Generate" button I notice that the "Create block symbol file (.bsf)" box is selected. The Qsys status window indicates that the block symbol files are being generated: 

Info: Starting: Create block symbol file (.bsf) 

Info: ip-generate --project-directory="C:/Documents and Settings/phil/workspace/niosx1/" --output-directory="C:/Documents and Settings/phil/workspace/niosx1/first_nios2_system/" --report-file="bsf:C:/Documents and Settings/phil/workspace/niosx1/first_nios2_system.bsf" --system-info=DEVICE_FAMILY="Cyclone III" --component-file="C:/Documents and Settings/phil/workspace/niosx1/first_nios2_system.qsys" 

Progress: Loading niosx1/first_nios2_system.qsys 

Info: first_nios2_system.onchip_mem: Memory will be initialized from onchip_mem.hex 

Info: first_nios2_system.sysid: System ID will no longer be automatically assigned. 

Info: first_nios2_system.sysid: Time stamp will be automatically updated when this component is generated. 

Info: ip-generate succeeded. 

Info: Finished: Create block symbol file (.bsf) 

After this step has finished, there are no .bsf files in the directory tree. I have even halted the "Generate" process immediately after the .bsf creation has finished (thinking that maybe a later cleanup process removed them) and there are no files in the directory tree. 

Is this an issue with SP1? The document states that "Nios II EDS version 11.0 or later" is required. 

Is there a way to manually create the block symbol file in the same manner that Qsys generates it? I have tried using the "File->Create/Update->Create Symbol Files for Current File" menu selection and it causes the build to fail in a later step. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That .bsf file is probably in a subdirectory named after the system name. Qsys generates files there instead of barfing files all over the top level directory like SOPC Builder did.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found that running as administrator eliminated the problems I was having. I don't like running as administrator unless I have to so I changed ownership of all files in the 11.1sp1 directory tree to my user account. This worked also.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having precisely the same problem as the original poster. However I find that neither of the two fixes he mentions in his follow up post work for me. 

Obviously, it's HIGHLY frustrating for a TUTORIAL from Altera to not work correctly. Rather gets things off to a poor start. 

Does any other kind soul have advice how to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Seems I have solved this. Apparently Qsys hated the fact my project directory name had a space in it! Now warning generated, nothing. All the other files and subdirectories built ok. But just not the BSF. Once I removed the space from the directory name....THEN the BSF built. How ridiculous in this day and age to have a space in a directory name still be an issue (with no warning about it!). NOT impressive Altera.....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks so much to ppublow. 

I have solved the problem as your suggested solution. :) 

It is a bug of Qsys until current version (version 12 SP1)
0 Kudos