Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios II Linux v1.4 released

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
36 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am new to Nios II development. I saw that Quartus II v. 8.0 does include an MMU, so that an actual Linux can in principle be run. Does anyone have a suitable Linux boot disk image or ZIP file that could be loaded onto, say, an SD card, so it could be used with a suitable development board (such as the Terasic DE3 board) to allow a Nios II design on the board to boot up into Linux straight off of the SD card's filesystem? Or barring this, can you point me at the next best thing to get into a "real" seeming Linux environment on the Nios II? The DE3 also has 1GB DDR2 RAM. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suppose you need to build the Linux distribution yourself as described in the Wiki.  

AFAIK, the only ready-made Linux test distribution is the one I once did for NEEK (no-MMU). loadable from SD-card with the Altera Application Loader.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did you read this ...? 

AFAIK, the only other Nios Linux distributions that currently is supported can be bought from WindRiver. 

-Michael 

--- Quote End ---  

No, thank you, like I said, I am just getting started with Nios development, and so I hadn't seen that Wiki yet. I have a couple of follow-up questions. 

1. I have seen material here and on the Wiki about both Linux and uClinux. What are the pros/cons of uClinux vs. regular Linux on Nios II? Is the regular Linux the only one that leverages the MMU capability? 

2. What are the easiest ways that one can interact interactively with a Linux/uClinux OS running on a Nios 2 design in a Stratix III on a simple dev board such as the DE3? E.g., can one of the USB ports be used together with a simple text-terminal app on the PC to provide an old-fashioned terminal interface (VT100-like)? Or, for more direct interaction, is there any free IP & drivers for handling USB keyboard/mouse input, and for driving at least CGA text output (80x25 chars) to a monitor through an external VGA jack wired up to some of the general-purpose IO pin headers? 

3. To provide network capabilities to the dev board, is there any free IP (& device drivers) available to implement, say, controller ICs for RJ-45 Ethernet ports, if those were wired into some GPIO pins?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please read more in the Wiki and and search in the messages in this forum. Only then post questions as regular Forim threads and not in this "sticky" thread.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, sorry, didn't know this thread was "sticky."

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks i am learning uclinux for nios ,recently!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,anyone know how to run uclinux on DE3 step by step ,would you help me?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

nios wiki: http://www.nioswiki.com/ (http://www.nioswiki.com/

-Michael 

--- Quote End ---  

this http don't provide any information or step about DE3. could you give me some help?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any one can guide me how to load uClinux into Nios 2 for DE2 board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

would you tell us your problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, this virsion of Linux is really cool, like it ! :D

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Any one can guide me how to load uClinux into Nios 2 for DE2 board. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello!! Im also looking for a step by step tutorial on this. I found lots of links and solutions but all of them are very old and not supported anymore... 

How do I do this, which files to download?? Where?? How do I install it and get it working? 

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please refer to the Altera Wiki article at http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/linux_for_the_nios_ii_processor 

it describes how to get started with the most recent version Linux for Nios II.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yep but it doesnt say anything about QSys. Is it even possible to run uCLinux based on a QSys system?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sounds cool

0 Kudos