Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Nios II - No output in the console

VRama10
Beginner

Hi,

I'm working with Nios II system and frequently I had to rely on the Nios II output console to debug my application code. Initially when I build the project, the console is working fine. But after some time, the console stops displaying the output.

Sometimes, when I regenerate my BSP and rebuild the project, it's working. Sometimes, I need to reprogram my FPGA and then reopen the project.

I'm curious to know what's wrong as I'm not particularly changing any parameters to get it working.

Kindly help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, If the console was working and then stops displaying the output, this might be something went wrong in the code or the NIOS stuck in an inf loop without calling the printf function. Can you please first check the Qsys design and the .c code for any reason might makes the NIOS II stuck somewhere or Can you please share with me more info about your application so I can replicate the error?
0 Kudos
VRama10
Beginner

I'm sure the issue is not with the code. Just a while ago, the code was working fine, and when I run it again, the Nios output console is not displaying anything now.

Later, I tired creating another Nios II application in Eclipse to have just the Hello_World template. Still the same. Nios_output_console_error1.PNG

Run_Time_error.PNG

0 Kudos
VRama10
Beginner

I'm sorry I attached wrong snipshots in the previous reply. Please look at the attached images

Nios_output_console_error.PNGNios_output_console_error1.PNG

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, Can you please make sure that the Makefile is been created correctly and up to date? you can do the following to make sure the Makefileis up to date: 1- Open the BSP project folder 2- Right click the Makefile>> Delete 3- Open the NIOS II Command Shill 4- Write the following command: cd <...../project_bsp> nios2-bsp-generate-files --settings=settings.bsp --bsp-dir=<C:/…./<project_bsp/> 5- Build your project again.
0 Kudos