Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios II SPI Communication

TFern4
Novice

Hi, I'm working on a project where I have to use the SPI Communication to interface the DE10 nano board (master) with an ADC (slave)  to convert the anolog signal to a binary value. I checked and I saw that there is a SPI (3 wire serial) core built in Qsys, but I have no idea how to use it. I read in some documentations about the SPI core but I didn't understand very well. If anyone has any examples or can help me I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

You can find very good references about how to use SPI communication, here is a good example of how to use SPI slave to AVALON memory mapped.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/intellectual-property/embedded/nios-ii/exm-spi-bridge.html

Attached is a project I've created to read an ADC value via SPI using the ADC Controller for DE-series Boards IP Core.

0 Kudos
TFern4
Novice

I made a similar project using the internal ADC too, but now I need to interface the FPGA with an external ADC because I have to read two channels simultaneously. Do you know if the commands to write/read with an external ADC are the same? Like IOWR() and IORD(). Thanks.

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

You can create a basic NIOS2 - SPI system like the one shown and then export the SPI interface externally and connect it to the ADC board.

NIOS_SPI_ADC.jpg

0 Kudos
TFern4
Novice

Do you know what is the commands to write/read using the SPI (3 Wire Serial) Core? Would be IOWR(SPI_BASE, ... ) and IORD(SPI_BASE, ... )? Thanks.

0 Kudos