Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios II Timer Problems

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am porting a design from Nios 1 to Nios II and the timer doens't seem to be working correctly. I don't want to use the HAL device drivers (System Clock Driver or Timestamp Driver) becuase they don't fit my needs. Anyway, here is a snippet of the relevent timer code: 

#define TIMER0_PERIOD (ALT_CPU_FREQ / 8000)    // set to <divisor> Hz. void timer_init( int period ) /* where period is an integer with range 0..65535, in multiples of system clk.   This sets up timer0 which is used for the servo loop.  The ISR is elsewhere. */ {  // stop timer  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_0_BASE, ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL_STOP_MSK);  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_STATUS(TIMER_0_BASE, 0);    // clears TO flag  // note: for simplicity only set the periodl register.  This precludes  // any periods longer than (system clock)/65535.  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_PERIODL(TIMER_0_BASE, period);  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_PERIODH(TIMER_0_BASE, 0);  // set continuous mode and turn on the interrupt, it won&#39;t do anything till timer started  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_0_BASE, (ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL_CONT_MSK |          ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL_ITO_MSK)); } void timer_start() {  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_0_BASE, (IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_0_BASE) | ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL_START_MSK)); } void timer_clear_interrupt( void ) {  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_STATUS(TIMER_0_BASE, 0); } int timer_snapshot( void ) {  IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_SNAPL(TIMER_0_BASE, 0);    // capture snapshot  return ((IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_SNAPH(TIMER_0_BASE) << 16) + IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_SNAPL(TIMER_0_BASE)); } int main(void) {  timer_init( TIMER0_PERIOD );  alt_irq_register(TIMER_0_IRQ, (void *)0, timer_ISR);  timer_start();  more_init_stuff_here();  for(;;)  {    // main loop  } } void timer_ISR( void *context, uint32 id ) {  static unsigned int isr_count = 0;  int fader;  timer_clear_interrupt();  snap0 = timer_snapshot();    // for execution profiling  ++isr_count;  // toggle LED } 

timer_ISR only gets called once (the LED only turns on and off once and then remains off). I&#39;ve tried everything. Is there something I&#39;m missing? Something simple maybe? The CONT bit means the timer is continuous, right? I&#39;m really stuck and would appreciate any enlightenment. Thanks ahead of time. 

dave
0 Kudos
0 Replies