Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios II basic

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am a beginner .I am using Nios II development kit stratix II Ep2s60f672c3n. In the flash memory of board contains nios file.while power on file transfer to fpga... 

It means can I directly program onto nios now??? that is using eclipse.  

or I need to develop nios and programmed onto fpga using sopc builder? 

please reply
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

U have to build the FPGA system using SOPC/QSYS , the NIOS code to interact with the FPGA will have to be done using eclipse 

for ex : to transfer data from NIOS Console to DDR. 

U will have to create a system onchipmemory-DDR controller-DMA etc using SOPC/QSYS and synthesize to get an .sof 

then ur code to sent data to the write /read to the DDR will be a .c file which you have to build using eclipse and get an .elf 

U can flash both .sof n .elf and they would do the respective work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so first I have to port nios using sopc builder onto fpga. right? 

Thankyou so much...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes build nios !!!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I builded Nios using Qsys . generated successfully. but during compilation of nios block in quartus II tool I am getting an error message that  

"Error (12006): Node instance "inst" instantiates undefined entity "my nios"  

what will be the reason. please reply.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there really a space there? It shouldn't be a valid name. Your QSYs project should be called "my_nios" and not "my nios". 

When generating a system in QSYS, a .qip file is created, that tells Quartus what should be included in the FPGA project. Check that this .qip file is part of your project, and if not, add it (Project menu, Add/Remove files in project).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes sit thankyou.... I added .Qsys file to part of my project. now working. 

Thank You
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have built nios. Now I am trying to program nios using eclipse.In built "count binary" c programming is using to check my nios. I assigned count_binary_o as my project name. 

while built project I am getting two errors. 

make: *** [count_binar_0.elf] Error 1 count_binar_0 C/C++ Problem 

undefined reference to `__alt_invalid' alt_sys_init.c /count_binar_0_bsp C/C++ Problem 

what will be reason ? please reply
0 Kudos