Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios II benchmarks

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I just started using the Nios II processor. I would like to know if there are any benchmarks available to compare the performance of Nios with other processors. 

regards 

Mpho
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello mpho 

If you like, there is a template for generating a Dhrystone testbench for your processor. Just run the IDE and start a new C/C++ application. You'll see it on the list of templetaes. However, many people don't rely too much on DMIPS results for several reasons the most important of which being that by using custom instructions and user logic, you can dramatically increase your processor's performance with no apparent change to the DMIPS result. 

What I suggest is, if you have another processor you are comparing against is trying to run the same source code for both with some performance checks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo, 

Did somebody know a comparison (http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/comparison.html) between NIOS II (C4) and MSP430? 

Greets 

sim
0 Kudos