Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Nios II erratic performance, will not connect to target system

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I have been working almost a year with the DBC5CEFA7 Board and I have several inconsistency problems with the Nios II processors. I am using to read and write information to other VHDL modules that I execute in the FPGA and validate that the inputs and ouputs are correct and as expected. So every now and then I add/modify/delete PIO ports to accomplish these tasks, I do these modifications in small changes but may be in one of these iterations that the Nios II is generated and my whole project is synthesized and yet when I try to connect to the microcontroller through the JTAG i get the "connected system id has not found" error. 

I have tried to regenerate the BSP through the menu "NIOS II > Generate BSP" and through the BSP Editor, i have tried creating a new project, I already reinstalled Quartus and still nothing. I can't find a solutions and I find these errors really frustrating because I cannot continue with the development of my project. The only way I have managed to overcome these error is using a source control manager (GIT) and stepping back until the NIOS architecture works and from there modify it until it works again, but this method is so time consuming. Perhaps somebody has experienced something similar and could point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it! 

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

when I try to connect to the microcontroller through the JTAG i get the "connected system id has not found" error. 

--- Quote End ---  

Have you *just* :-) tried to close and restart NIOS II SBT ? IT works for me. 

I get this problem after I prgoram the FPGA with Nios II SBT > Quartus programmer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you *just* :-) tried to close and restart NIOS II SBT ? IT works for me. 

I get this problem after I prgoram the FPGA with Nios II SBT > Quartus programmer. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi thanks for replying, yes I also tried that but forget to mention it, but once it's stuck, it's stuck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is your QSYS/SOPC located at the root project directory ? I got troubles when it is not : causes mismatch ID.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi yes the qsys/sopc files are located at the root of the project. Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Were you able to resolve this? I have the same situation. I can build a new .sof, download it and eclipse will find the correct id... but then if I recompile the exact same project (not changing anything) then I keep getting the "connected system id: not found" error. This is really frustrating and time consuming. Any insight into possible causes or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Were you able to resolve this? ... I keep getting the "connected system id: not found" error. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi yes, i managed to solve the problem. I learnt how to use SignalTap and then i realized that my system was not cofigured correctly, i don´t remember anymore what was the error. You should try to use it and begin with the clock and reset signals, if they are not correctly sent to the nios it will never work.
0 Kudos