Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Nios II interrupt design example required

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to understand how to write code for a timer interrupt for the NIOS II in Eclipse. I understand that this will require me to use a timer block in Qsys and than use it to generate the interrupt signal. I am blank on how the C code is to be written and need clarification on this issue. 

Is it possible to get a reference design that demonstrates how one may be able to implement interrupts in the NIOS II, with the Qsys side as well as the Eclipse side made manifest? A most humble design shall be well recieved if it can demonstrate the concept.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it possible to get a reference design that demonstrates how one may be able to implement interrupts in the NIOS II, with the Qsys side as well as the Eclipse side made manifest? A most humble design shall be well recieved if it can demonstrate the concept. 

--- Quote End ---  

See example (LED_PWM is my own Qsys components with HAL): 

#include <stdio.h># include <string.h># include "sys/alt_flash.h" # include "sys/alt_irq.h"# include "system.h" # include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h"# include "altera_avalon_timer_regs.h" //#include "altera_avalon_timer.h" # include "pwm_avalon_interface_regs.h"# include "pwm_avalon_interface.h"# include "pwm_avalon_interface.c" //********************** Global Variables *********************************************** volatile unsigned short int led_dir; volatile int return_code; volatile unsigned char i = 0; volatile unsigned int duty_cycle = {499999, 150000, 60000, 10000, 5000, 2500, 800, 1}; //********************** ISR functions ************************************************** static void timer_isr (void * context) { volatile unsigned char* led_ptr; volatile unsigned char* dir_ptr; IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_STATUS(TIMER_BASE, 0); dir_ptr = (volatile unsigned char*)context; led_ptr = dir_ptr + 1; return_code = altera_avalon_pwm_change_duty_cycle(LED_PWM_BASE, duty_cycle); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, *led_ptr); if(*dir_ptr) { *led_ptr >>= 1; i--; } else { *led_ptr <<= 1; i++; } if(*led_ptr & 0x81) *dir_ptr ^= 0x1; } //********************** Auxiliary functions ******************************************** void check_return_code(unsigned int address, int return_code) { if(return_code != ALTERA_AVALON_PWM_OK) ; // print_error(address, return_code); } //********************* Main function *************************************************** int main (void) { void* led_dir_ptr = (void*)&led_dir; led_dir = 0x0100; //Timer Initialization IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_BASE, 0x0003); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_STATUS(TIMER_BASE, 0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_PERIODL(TIMER_BASE, 0x9f00); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_PERIODH(TIMER_BASE, 0x0024); //Register ISR for timer event alt_ic_isr_register(TIMER_IRQ_INTERRUPT_CONTROLLER_ID, TIMER_IRQ, timer_isr, led_dir_ptr, 0); //Initialize PWM and Check Return Code return_code = altera_avalon_pwm_init(LED_PWM_BASE, 500000, 1); check_return_code(LED_PWM_BASE, return_code); //Enable PWM and Check Return Code return_code = altera_avalon_pwm_enable(LED_PWM_BASE); check_return_code(LED_PWM_BASE, return_code); //Start timer and begin the work IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_BASE, 0x0007); // IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, led); while (1) check_return_code(LED_PWM_BASE, return_code); }
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is interesting. I suppose that the same shall be done if we have a slave SPI IP as it shall also release interrupts when it recieves data. Is that really the case?