Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Nios II+uClinux frambuffer in single SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am intending to run uclinux on NIOS 2/f on cyclone 3 fpga. I have one SDRAM 32MB connected to the cyclone 3.  

The system is connected to CCD sensor, I would like video to be streamed to another computer via ethernet. 

I have seen couple of IP camera design solutions that use 2 SDRAMs (1 for ucLinux, 1 for frame buffer). I woundn't want this approach as I have space and IO constraints to go with 2 SDRAMs on the board. 

Would it be possible to run both uclinux (nios 2) and frame buffer on the same SDRAM? 

Highly Appreciate any pointers. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Would it be possible to run both uclinux (nios 2) and frame buffer on the same SDRAM? 

--- Quote End ---  

Maybe, it's possible. But please be careful about the bus bandwidth. Also you may need a special frame buffer driver.  

Kazu