Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Nios SBT for Eclipse BSP build extremely slow

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am using Quartus 14.1 Subscription and after I setup a Qsys project plus some custom design I open Nios SBT Eclipse from Tools->Nios II SBT for Eclipse. 

Then I just create a standard Hello world application + BSP (not the small lib version) from the standard template and I try to build only the BSP and then the application. 

The building of the BSP takes so long that makes it not normal. The build bottle neck is: 

Configuring newlib to build a smallc C library in /cygdrive/c/AlteraProjs14.1/software/skataskata1234_bsp/newlib-build-tmp/smallc... Configure smallc newlib -> COMPLETE. Compiling newlib for a smallc C library...  

There has to be something wrong with this. I am not so familiar with Eclipse but at my laptop it works fine. 

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How long is long? 

That is recompiling all of the C library (just in case some of it depends on the BSP parameters). 

A minor change to qsys shouldn't really require everything be rebuilt - but that is the way the BSP and SBT stuff is all designed to work. 

Commercially it is unlikely that the people writing the code are the same as those desiging the fpga - so the tight link between the two is 'all wrong'.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well I have to say that slow in my case means that by the time I started compiling and sent this post it is still at 14%. 

Did you just say that it compiles the whole C library? Isn't it so that it compiles only the functions used in my main program? 

Also, i only use the print functions for debugging in the nios console. Would you think that the small version of the library would suffice?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It will be compiling all of the C library, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. 

If you only want print for debug, use the small library and the alt_printf() functions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a similar problem a few years ago. It turned out that my hard drive was on its last legs. It failed totally a few days after compiles became very slow. Make sure you have everything backed up in case this turns out to be your problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wow.... 

Even though that does not seem so obvious I will take my measures!! 

Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

My company recently implemented a Least Privileges Security Model, which restricted the permission even for Run As Administrator. When I run Eclipse with "Run with Elevated Privileges" it runs 4 times faster.
0 Kudos