Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios V not working

Chris039
Novice

Hi,

I am using example design created in

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/726952/22-1std-1-0-0/processor-example-design.html

I changed the loop from 1000 to 10 in main.c

The example design is working as below

Chris039_0-1668395481749.png

After this, I add two avmm pipeline bridge in the platform designer and reassign base address, it gives me error below when downloading the elf file generated from Nios 

Chris039_1-1668397280265.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Yes, the application execution starts from on-chip RAM base address 0x0.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Chris039
Novice

After compiling the design, run the below command for generating the BSP and elf. 

niosv-bsp -c --quartus-project=../pcie_ed.qpf --qsys=../sys.qsys --type=hal bsp/settings.bsp
niosv-app --bsp-dir=bsp --app-dir=app --srcs=app/main.c
echo "done1"
cd app
cmake -B build
cd build
make
echo "done2"
quartus_pgm -c 1 -m jtag -o"p;../../../pcie_ed.sof"
echo "done3"
niosv-download -g app.elf

echo "done4"
juart-terminal --instance 0 --device 1

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

Design 1: Nios V example design

Design 2: Nios V example design + 2 avmm pipeline bridge

I am using the original design and change the base address to the same as design 2 without adding the pipeline IP , the hello world is not working as well. 

Design 3: Design 1 + change base address to the same as Design 2

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

Now I use Design 2 and manually change the base address for cpu, ram, jtag uart to the same as Design 1 and random base address for the 2 avmm pipeline bridge. It is working now. I would like to understand 

1) Why the base address automatically assigned by Quartus Platform Designer did not work?

2) Does the niosv-bsp and niosv-app have dependency on the base address?

3) If #2 is true, can you teach me how to use these 2 commands? the command --help did not explain much about the RAM base address

Thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Noted on your question in this case. Please give me some time to look in to this. May I know the devkit and Quartus version that you using in this project?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

You can check out this link: https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/750761/ug-726952-750761.pdf and have a look at the section 2.1.3 Specifying Base Addresses and Interrupt Request Priorities.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

Quartus 22.3 and Agilex devkit

It seems like any base address can bet set for on chip ram, not necessary from 0x0. Correct me if I understand wrongly.
In the design it is not working, can you try the Qsys files provided earlier and share if you can run the non 0x0 on chip ram base address ?

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Apologies for the delay but I will need some more time to test out the .qsys design that you sent and will update you. Do let me know if you have any further findings. Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

Sure. Thanks

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Is there a reason why you would want to change the base address to non 0x0? It is not advised to do so.

The application execution starts from on-chip RAM base address 0x0, if we change its base address then reset vectors need to be updated as that is where Nios will look to starting the execution of application. This might be the root cause why the design is not working.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

I did not manually change the memory base address. When I add more component in the Qsys and assign the base address automatically using Qsys > System > Assign base address, the base address of the on chip ram changes automatically. 

How do I make sure it is working when Qsys assign address automatically to the on chip ram?

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

The "Assign Base Addresses" automatically assigns unique base addresses to all the slave interfaces/ports in the Qsys Pro system to avoid conflicts in the system for all memory-mapped component interfaces.

If the master does not have enough address space for its slaves, then no amount of assigning base addressing would work. The user is expected to modify their master/slaves to ensure proper sizing is used. It is not guaranteed that "Assign Base Address" would solve addressing problems.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Any updates from your side?

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

May I confirm again that the on chip memory start address for Nios V must start from 0x0?

I have this concern is because the Nios II just work with any value as the start adresss.

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Yes, the application execution starts from on-chip RAM base address 0x0.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi Chris,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 9/10 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos