Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Nios/e prints only in eclipse debug mode on jtag-uart, not in eclipse 'normal' mode

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using the C5 Soc Kit from terasic. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=205&no=816 

I have created a Nios system with qsys in q13.1 (on windows 7).  

See attachement qsys.png 

The clock is connect ok, because parallel to the nios a counter is running on the same clock and that is displayed on some leds. 

I create a hello world small project with the following code 

# include "sys/alt_stdio.h" int main() { /* Event loop never exits. */ while (1) { alt_putstr("Hello from Nios II!\n"); alt_putstr(" Hello from Nios II!\n"); alt_putstr(" Hello from Nios II!\n"); alt_putstr(" Hello from Nios II!\n"); alt_putstr(" Hello from Nios II!\n"); alt_putstr(" Hello from Nios II!\n"); } return 0; } 

When I run this in the c-perspective I see in the console that the processor is started. 

see attached c-cpp_perspectief-console-window.png 

In the jtag uart nios console I don't see anything. 

See c-cpp_perspectief-jtag-uart-console.png 

When I start the debugger, then suddenly I see what I expect. 

See debug-perspective.png 

Any idea why it is running in debug mode and not in "normal" mode? 

Should there be a pll involved in qsys? 

Rgds, 

Kimberley
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your project is using the JTAG UART. This is only available when the debugger is running.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've found also that the JTAG UART is shaky at least, I've spent my share of time trying to fix what wasnt wrong. 

I'd suggest if you are using a board with serial connection to use it instead of the JTAG. I've seen this suggestion posted somewhere else and it saved me tons of time. 

I would also suggest using PIO with LEDs to convey some sort of watchdog, that the program is in fact alive and running instead of relying on the JTAG UART output.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've found also that the JTAG UART is shaky at least, I've spent my share of time trying to fix what wasnt wrong. 

I'd suggest if you are using a board with serial connection to use it instead of the JTAG. I've seen this suggestion posted somewhere else and it saved me tons of time. 

I would also suggest using PIO with LEDs to convey some sort of watchdog, that the program is in fact alive and running instead of relying on the JTAG UART output.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since when is the jtag uart only for debug? 

In quartus 10 and before i used it without almost any problem, in sopc builder. 

Is that also the reason why the nios how has a special jtag debug mode pins. 

These are new to me, and were not there in a nios in sopc builder AFAIK. 

Does the clock frequencie also matters. I'm feeding it now with a 50 mhz clock. 

Perhaps it need to be 20 mhz for the jtag only?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a push button or FPGA reset that you can use at top level? I am concern with the jtag_debug_module_reset_output driving the clock source IP. Can you instead export the clk_in_reset? Probably you can use the System >> Create Global Reset Network for correctly hooking up the jtag reset output.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you have a push button or FPGA reset that you can use at top level? I am concern with the jtag_debug_module_reset_output driving the clock source IP. Can you instead export the clk_in_reset? Probably you can use the System >> Create Global Reset Network for correctly hooking up the jtag reset output. 

--- Quote End ---  

@ mikedsouze: I've followed your suggestions.  

- I've exported the clk_in_reset  

- I've created a global reset network. 

- See attachment qsys_reset_export_system_generated_reset_netw.png 

- I've updated my verilog code 

assign nios_reset = KEY; nios_4b_qsys NIOS2 ( .clk_clk(clk), //, // clk.clk .reset_reset_n(nios_reset) // reset.reset_n );  

And now it works in normal mode!!!  

Not after the first download when I press the run button in eclipse, but when I press the key that is connected to the nios_reset signal in my code. 

Thanks a lot mikedsouze 

@fredbk: Thanks for the suggestion for using a PIO with a LED. 

The PIO would be my next IP to add to my nios system. 

Using it as a watchdog is very helpfull. 

Rgds, 

Kimberley
0 Kudos