Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Nios not starting if encryption feature enabled in Convert Programming File tool

SBure
Beginner

I'm using Q13.1 and run Nios from EPCQ (EPCS/EPCQx1 Serial Flash Controller installed in Qsys). Nios binary copied from EPCQ to DDR after power up. I generate jic file using Convert Programming File tool and everything works fine. So all offsets and setting is ok. But if I try to enable encryption in SOF properties, NIOS application not starting after power up. FPGA fabric still starts successfully. What might be reasone of this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Are you using the hex file as on-chip memory initialization file or separated file ? if the first option then I suggest to make it separated from the .sof

SBure
Beginner

Hi, thanks for answer. I'm using hex file, which is generated like this:

#Create a flash image of your FPGA configuration file sof2flash --input=hw.sof --output=hw.flash --epcq --verbose #Note: We are using --epcq instead of --epcs here for EPCQ devices #Create a flash image of your NIOS II .elf file elf2flash --input=sw.elf --output=sw.flash --epcs --after=hw.flash –verbose #Create the .hex image of your Nios II software nios2-elf-objcopy --input-target srec --output-target ihexsw.flash sw.hex