Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

Nios using onchip memory resets continuously

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I am using a small footprint EP4CE6 FPGA with NIOSII built using 20KB on chip memory. Using Eclipse IDE I built the "small hello world" example as a starting point. My problem is that when I add anything more than a simple alt_printf statement, the cpu continuously resets itself. 

I think it may be because I am not setting up the complier correctly. The instructions refer to the old NIOS IDE. I would like to know how to set these using the ECLIPSE IDE. 

- Define the preprocessor option ALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION 

- Set Periodic system timer and Timestamp timer to none 

- Set Max file descriptors to 4 

- Uncheck Clean exit (flush buffers) 

and any other settings you think is necessary to run NIOS CPU with on-chip memory only. 

Thanks,  

nathan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

How large is your onchip memory? I've seen this happen when I had too small of memory.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

How large is your onchip memory? I've seen this happen when I had too small of memory. 

--- Quote End ---  

20KB. I generated Qsys system as per the NiosII hardware Development tutorial.