Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Nios2 gdb and Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been running Nios2 on Linux with success for some time and now I am trying to use gdb with no success.  

I've tired the published examples but one general question persists - is the gdb stub automatically built-into 

my design? I'm running from the bash command line and using the provided scripts in my makefile. I added 

the '--debug' option to 'nios2-app-generate-makefile' with no success. So, I am wondering if this necessary to use gdb? Or does  

the nios2-app-generate-makefile default to include a gdb stub in the build and you'd have to explicitly remove debug support.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've been developing Nios2 on Linux with success for some time and now I am trying to use gdb with no success.  

I've attempted the published gdb examples - with no success - and one general question persists - is the gdb stub automatically built-into 

my design? I'm running from the bash command line and using the provided scripts in my makefile. I added the '--debug' option to 'nios2-app-generate-makefile'  

with no success. So, I am wondering if this makefile option is necessary to use gdb? Or does the 'nios2-app-generate-makefile' default to include a gdb stub in  

the build and you'd have to explicitly remove debug support. 

--- Quote End ---  

Does anyone know if a basic Nios2 C project has gdb support by default?
0 Kudos