Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Nios2 gdb and Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been running Nios2 on Linux with success for some time and now I am trying to use gdb with no success.  

I've tired the published examples but one general question persists - is the gdb stub automatically built-into 

my design? I'm running from the bash command line and using the provided scripts in my makefile. I added 

the '--debug' option to 'nios2-app-generate-makefile' with no success. So, I am wondering if this necessary to use gdb? Or does  

the nios2-app-generate-makefile default to include a gdb stub in the build and you'd have to explicitly remove debug support.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've been developing Nios2 on Linux with success for some time and now I am trying to use gdb with no success.  

I've attempted the published gdb examples - with no success - and one general question persists - is the gdb stub automatically built-into 

my design? I'm running from the bash command line and using the provided scripts in my makefile. I added the '--debug' option to 'nios2-app-generate-makefile'  

with no success. So, I am wondering if this makefile option is necessary to use gdb? Or does the 'nios2-app-generate-makefile' default to include a gdb stub in  

the build and you'd have to explicitly remove debug support. 

--- Quote End ---  

Does anyone know if a basic Nios2 C project has gdb support by default?