Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NiosII SPI Core problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, all 

i use a SPI core in my nios system. 

when i used the function "alt_avalon_spi_command()" to sent a "who am i" command to the peripheral, it received no data. so i use signalTap to debug. 

here's the data i got 

http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/4abedc10gw1dk7o6m3q7ej.jpg  

my questions: 

1)MISO has received the data sent back by peripheral, why rx_holding_reg and shift_reg received nothing? 

2)is there anything wrong in my code? 

int main() { alt_u8 temp; alt_u8 wdata = 0x80 | WHO_AM_I; if(alt_avalon_spi_command( SPI_L3G4200_BASE,0, 1,&wdata, 1,&temp, 0)==0) printf("fail\n"); else { printf("%d\n",(int)temp); } } 

thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's been a long time since I have used that core but I recommend looking at the control and status registers of the SPI core to make sure the TX hasn't overflowed or the RX hasn't underflowed. I forget the behavior but in those two cases the SPI component either stops moving data or it just loops the data back.... or something.... I forget.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TAT... i make it. 

when i add a NOT gate at MISO, it works.it seems that Nios cannot catch the signal starts with "1".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try increasing the delay parameter of the SPI core so that there is a bit of delay between the SS_N deassertion and sclk. One sclk of delay should hopefully do the trick.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! 

I'm also using an SPI core to connect my peripheral to nios and I also send "who_am_i" command, but I'm experiencing some difficulties. When I send data using altera_avalon_spi_command(), here are the signals from SignalTap Logic Analyzer (SCLK, SS_n, MOSI, MISO): 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5300  

My SPI is configured as master, SCLK=10MHz, Data Register width = 8, Clock polarity = 1, Clock phase = 1. I can see that in q3ccn's picture spi clock exists as long as SS_n signal is deasserted which doesn't happen in my case. So, I suppose that in the first clock cycle in my picture, the data (0x8F) is sent over MOSI line, but what happens in the other cycle? Why is there such a big period between these cycles? Is it possible that data is sent again in that second cycle or the received data is sampled from the MISO line? 

When I configure MISO pin as an input pin in quartus, should I enable pull-up resistor or it is not necessary? 

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos