Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NiosII SPI Core problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, all 

i use a SPI core in my nios system. 

when i used the function "alt_avalon_spi_command()" to sent a "who am i" command to the peripheral, it received no data. so i use signalTap to debug. 

here's the data i got 

http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/4abedc10gw1dk7o6m3q7ej.jpg  

my questions: 

1)MISO has received the data sent back by peripheral, why rx_holding_reg and shift_reg received nothing? 

2)is there anything wrong in my code? 

int main() { alt_u8 temp; alt_u8 wdata = 0x80 | WHO_AM_I; if(alt_avalon_spi_command( SPI_L3G4200_BASE,0, 1,&wdata, 1,&temp, 0)==0) printf("fail\n"); else { printf("%d\n",(int)temp); } } 

thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's been a long time since I have used that core but I recommend looking at the control and status registers of the SPI core to make sure the TX hasn't overflowed or the RX hasn't underflowed. I forget the behavior but in those two cases the SPI component either stops moving data or it just loops the data back.... or something.... I forget.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TAT... i make it. 

when i add a NOT gate at MISO, it works.it seems that Nios cannot catch the signal starts with "1".
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try increasing the delay parameter of the SPI core so that there is a bit of delay between the SS_N deassertion and sclk. One sclk of delay should hopefully do the trick.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! 

I'm also using an SPI core to connect my peripheral to nios and I also send "who_am_i" command, but I'm experiencing some difficulties. When I send data using altera_avalon_spi_command(), here are the signals from SignalTap Logic Analyzer (SCLK, SS_n, MOSI, MISO): 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5300  

My SPI is configured as master, SCLK=10MHz, Data Register width = 8, Clock polarity = 1, Clock phase = 1. I can see that in q3ccn's picture spi clock exists as long as SS_n signal is deasserted which doesn't happen in my case. So, I suppose that in the first clock cycle in my picture, the data (0x8F) is sent over MOSI line, but what happens in the other cycle? Why is there such a big period between these cycles? Is it possible that data is sent again in that second cycle or the received data is sampled from the MISO line? 

When I configure MISO pin as an input pin in quartus, should I enable pull-up resistor or it is not necessary? 

Thanks for any help.