Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Not able to resolve "#include <stdint.h>"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using NIOS II EDS 9.1 to generate a sample project from template. 

I am able to build sample project. 

Then i added below include file. 

# include <stdint.h> 

int main () 

uint32_t test; 

I am getting below error and warnings: 

error : `uint32_t' undeclared (first use in this function) 

warning: stdint.h: No such file or directory 

I have verified that stdint.h is present in system generated includes folder in "C:\altera\91\quartus\bin\cygwin\usr\include

How to resolve this problem
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem is that some compiler often automatically export names defined in various headers or provided types before such standards were in place. 

Now, I said "may not always work." That's because the cstdint header is part of the C++11 standard and is not always available on current C++ compilers (but often is). The stdint.h header is the C equivalent and is part of C99.
LucasM
Novice

You can try using <alt_types.h>, which provides equivalent types to those in <stdint.h>, but prefixed with 'alt_' so 'int8_t' becomes 'alt_8' and 'uint32_t' becomes 'alt_u32'.