Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Odd nios2-download verify fail between address issue, on-chip memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have been running into a odd nios2-download verify failure issue. 

I was trying to test the impact of different cache size of nios proceossr. However, when I change the cache size to some certain values, I started getting "Verify failed between address 0xXXXXXX and 0xXXXXXXX" issue. The address is for the on-chip memory. Some cache size setting still works fine... 

Having been going through many threads in the forum but no luck yet... Have anyone got similar things before? 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

xxiang, are you using an SDC file and checking for timing closure? 

If you raise the cache size too much it's possible that timing won't be met because internal memory is already placed on the device, and routing to all the memory blocks needed for your processor cache may decrease the Fmax of your processor and system. 

Timing problems may lead to "verify failed" errors.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply vtoffolo. I did check timing. There were some tiny timing violation (~0.04ns) but those were not in the nios processor, I assume that shouldn't cause the problem. However, the error is gone now with a new build, for no reason...  

--- Quote Start ---  

xxiang, are you using an SDC file and checking for timing closure? 

If you raise the cache size too much it's possible that timing won't be met because internal memory is already placed on the device, and routing to all the memory blocks needed for your processor cache may decrease the Fmax of your processor and system. 

Timing problems may lead to "verify failed" errors. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos