Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Oldest Kernel for Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

This may seem like an odd question, what is the earliest kernel that supports the Cyclone V ? I can find reference to 3.13 

I am working on a project that requires IEC 61508 SIL-1 certification. One of the arguments we can deploy is 'proven in use' so, in this case, the older the better. 

Of course if anybody out there has already been down this path all help or advice will be gratefully received :) 

Regards, 

Andrew
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm not sure where you got the information, but if we refer back to the older 13.1 golden reference release note, it should be V3.9 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/gsrd131releasenotes 

For personal opinion, if you wanr PROVE of usage, do try to match the kernel version to the latest soceds version they have for current V15.01, the best is using v3.10 LTSi. If you working on another version ther eis a posibility may see some incompatibility issues.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i forgot,,, the latest release note is as such:- 

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/view/documentation/a10gsrdv151releasenotes 

However, if you still want to go with 3.14, you may show us something new for discuttion (issues, error).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

may share the reason you looking for older kernel version?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I said in the original post the project that I am working on is required to be IEC 61508 SIL-1 certified. You can build on argument based on 'proven in use'. In consequence an older kernel has been used more.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think as long as you ever seen the example in rocketboards, those kernel version should be proven in use.

0 Kudos