Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12419 Discussions

OpenCore Plus Time-limited File and Linux Worklflow

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I am very new to the Quartus toolchain and have a question about the workflow. 

Till now, I have used a precompiled Linux SDCard and changed the dtb and rbf files with my own but now I want to use an IP from Altera which supports the evaluation mode. 

Since I am not able to make a rbf file from a time-limited sof file, I need to change my workflow and program my device with the Quartus II programmer. 

I am a little bit lost with all these settings, so my question is what do I need to do to boot linux with my FPGA configuration without flashing a rbf from SDCard? 

Please let me know of everything which comes to your mind because I have no idea what way will work. 

For example: Maybe it is enough to halt the auto-boot, change the bootcmd command such that it only loads the dtb, save it, and then I only need to flash my FPGA configuration at the first time boot. But maybe I also need to change MSEL settings, or even need to compile/build the preloader and u-boot or even Linux?!?! 

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
0 Replies