Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Overriding static variables from Eclipse

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to override a few variables (NUMBIGBUFS, MAXBIGPKTS, etc) contained in the ipport.h file of the NicheStack-enabled bsp without actually modifying the file itself. 

Does SBT give me any tools for doing this? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not that I'm a software person but are those variables or C macros (all caps and their location in an include file makes them look like macros)? C macros look something like this "#define <some macro name> <optionally some macro value>". If those are macros you should be able to overwrite them using the -D flag in the project settings. You can learn more by searching the gcc documentation about the -D flag.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

if that's the definition of C Macros, they are then macros. 

I tried with -D already but it doesn't seem to work. But perhaps my tcl line was wrong... I did something like: 

set_setting hal.make.bsp_cflags_defined_symbols -DTSE_MY_SYSTEM,-DMAXBIGPKTS=1000,-DNUMBIGBUFS=250 

When doing a printf from main() I still get the old values. 

Not that I'm a software person too, but should't I first undefine those Macros first? In the description of cflags_defined_symbols it says that the effect is the same with# define... 

I tried using 

hal.make.bsp_cflags_undefined_symbols "-u DMAXBIGPKTS", "-u DNUMBIGBUFS" but still not working...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found a slightly different syntax here: http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd11122009_293.html

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If by "slightly different" you refer to those the "--set " directive, that would be actually the same but called from a .sh script. When the list of settings is included in a .tcl script the set is not required. 

NIOS2_BSP_ARGS="--script settings.tcl hal my_bsp" 

Anyways, I figgured out that the syntax for multiple defined symbols is  

set_setting hal.make.bsp_cflags_defined_symbols "-DTSE_MY_SYSTEM -DNUMBIGBUFS=250 -DMAXBIGPKTS=500" 

so parameters between quotes and separated by space not comma.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oops ya, I didn't notice those commas. That's the same syntax that compilers like gcc uses for overwriting C macros.