Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

PIO interrupts on Cyclone SoC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all 

I hope someone can point me in the correct direction regarding PIO interrupts. 

I have been playing around with the GHRD design trying to figure out how the PIO interrupts are mapped/connected to the linux system: 

From the original GHRD design there is a dipsw_pio module with IRQ=0 connected to f2h_irq0 on HPS. 

The input pin on the dipsw_pio is connected to a button so I can easily generate an interrupt. 

When I enable the dipsw_pio irq mask (DIPSW_PIO_BASE+8) = 1, this line pops up in “/proc/interrupts” : 

35: 0 altera-gpio 0 Edge 

Pushing my “irq-button” I can see the “irq 35” counts up correctly, i.e. working as it should. 

Problem 1: 

Why irq 35? I have tried various QSYS irq mapping for the DISPSW_PIO with corresponding device tree files. 

Currently my DISPSW_PIO is connected to IRQ=17 on f2h_irq1. My dtb/dts file: 

dipsw_pio: gpio@0x100040800 { 

compatible = "altr,pio-16.0", "altr,pio-1.0"; 

reg = <0x00000001 0x00040800 0x00000010>; 

interrupt-parent = <&hps_0_arm_gic_0>; 

interrupts = <0 89 1>; 

clocks = <&clk_0>; 

altr,gpio-bank-width = <4>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.altr,gpio-bank-width type NUMBER */ 

altr,interrupt-type = <1>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.altr,interrupt-type type NUMBER */ 

altr,interrupt_type = <1>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.altr,interrupt_type type NUMBER */ 

edge_type = <0>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.edge_type type NUMBER */ 

level_trigger = <0>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.level_trigger type NUMBER */ 

resetvalue = <0>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.resetvalue type NUMBER */ 

# gpio-cells = <2>; 

gpio-controller; 

}; //end gpio@0x100040800 (dipsw_pio) 

I have tried with various irq settings, but this does not seem to make any difference, it always pops up as “irq 35” when I enable dipsw_pio irq mask (DIPSW_PIO_BASE+8) = 1 

Can anyone share some insight here? 

Problem 2: 

I have then mapped in another PIO module (identical to dipsw_pio) with a different input button to generate irqs. 

pio_test: gpio@0x100040900 { 

compatible = "altr,pio-16.0", "altr,pio-1.0"; 

reg = <0x00000001 0x00040900 0x00000010>; 

interrupt-parent = <&hps_0_arm_gic_0>; 

interrupts = <0 43 1>; 

clocks = <&clk_0>; 

altr,gpio-bank-width = <1>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.altr,gpio-bank-width type NUMBER */ 

altr,interrupt-type = <1>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.altr,interrupt-type type NUMBER */ 

altr,interrupt_type = <1>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.altr,interrupt_type type NUMBER */ 

edge_type = <0>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.edge_type type NUMBER */ 

level_trigger = <0>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.level_trigger type NUMBER */ 

resetvalue = <0>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.resetvalue type NUMBER */ 

# gpio-cells = <2>; 

gpio-controller; 

}; //end gpio@0x100040900 (pio_test)  

Enabling pio interrupt mask for both: 

pio irq mask (DIPSW_PIO_BASE+8) = 1 

pio irq mask (PIO_TEST_BASE+8) = 1 

I get this two lines in “/proc/interrupts” : 

36: 3 altera-gpio 0 Edge 

68: 5 altera-gpio 0 Edge 

Both IRQ works, but the one which previous was numbered 35 is now 36 (why?), and the new one is 68… 

Problem 3: 

I want to use the ko-driver based on the fpga_uinput.c example from github, but this can be a problem since I do not understand how my PIO irqs are mapped in the linux system. 

In the fpga_uninput.c example one need to specify the IRQ number:# define UINPUT_INT_NUM <?> 

However: 

If I first enable the PIO mask and check/proc/interrupts to get the IRQ number and use this number to compile my fpga_uinput.ko. E.g. :# define UINPUT_INT_NUM 68 

Then my ko-driver seems to work, but there should be possible to know how the irqs are mapped based on the dts file???? 

Platform: 

DE0-Nano-SoC 

GHRD 16.1 (modified and rebuilded for DE0-Nano-SoC) 

Linux RT: Linux cyclone5 4.1.22-ltsi PREEMPT RT 

Regards, 

ArthurDent
0 Kudos
0 Replies