Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Perl crashing - sof2flash process

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All! 

I'm a newbie of Altera Forum (and Alter product). 

I'm using Altera DSP Development Board StratixII edition for my master dissertation project and I've encountered a problem. 

My configuration is a Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit on a Dell PowerEdge T110 (Intel Xeon 8 Core) and I'm using QuartusII 9.0. 

I've performed successfully the Nios II Hardware Development Tutorial; at the end of it I would like to program the flesh memory with my .sof binary file. So, at startup, board can be programmed by itself. 

But during the process conversion from .sof to .flash, the perl process crashes. I running it from the NiosII Command shell and, using the Windows task manager, I can recover the bash only manually killing the perl process. 

I have the same problem during compilation on SOPC Builder: the perl process is invoked and never ends. 

Finally, on NiosII shell, just typing "perl" crashes the shell. 

How can I solve this problem? Probably I need to configure something but I don't know what. 

Thank you for everyone who will reply. 

L.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

two suggestions... 

1. Quartus 9.0 is quite old and is now unsupported. it would be worth trying a newer version 

2. Windows Server has never been officially supported. i've seen it work but also seen issues that i couldn't resolve. there may be some kind of incompatibility with the cygwin back end to the embedded tools and Windows Server. again, trying a newer version might be somewhat more successful
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, you're telling me that a manual configuration is not needed, it's right? After installation all should work in the right way... 

I have an official license for QuartusII 9.0 and I can't use unofficial license on that machine, is it possible to use the license for 9.0 version for further version (like 10 or 11)? 

Obviously tricks are welcome... 

thank you 

L.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you generated the devkit license in the last year, it should work with the latest release 

what you can do is try installing the latest Web Edition release. i know it won't support Stratix II in compilation, but i think all of the embedded tools will support it. you could then see if problems were solved in later releases and talk to your distributor for an evaluation license, purchase one, etc 

i would think you could try sof2flash with the .sof created in 9.0
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

On Windows Server 2008 R2 by default SEHOP is enable. The very old cygwin what used by Altera QuartusII 9.0 to run perl will not handle this kind of feature. So a solution is to disable SEHOP in Windows 2008. 

HowTo: 

Search in google: Microsoft kb 956607 

Or 

windows sehop disable 

I can not post link. 

Hope this solve the problems 

Greetings 

D. Zimmermann
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you! 

Tomorrow I will try this solution. 

Bye bye 

L.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem solved! 

Now when I attempt to use the sof2flesh utility it works perfectly! 

Even SOPC Builder works in the right way! 

Thank you for help, good work! 

L.
0 Kudos