Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Pointing IDE to different folders...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

This is a very basic question.  

How do I point the IDE to a new but existing project.  

The scenario is that someone sends me a quartus/SOPC/NiosII/IDE project tree and I unzip it onto my local drive. I have my own project(s) in the IDE pointing to other systems and they work fine.  

How do I repoint to this new, but existing project I've been sent? 

Or maybe another way to ask is to how do I open this project? I don't want to create anything new, I just want to open an existing project and start workiing with it. 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but have you tried "File->Import project" ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, I select the project and it gives an error saying "Project Already Exists". Go figure http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Import them one at a time (I hope they didn&#39;t send you 30 projects or this will take a while). Once you have imported the application project and the system library it is associated to you are all ready to go.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like the projects have the same name. If that&#39;s not the case look at the navigator and C/C++ projects trees (it may be in only one of them)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you already have a project with that name, you cannot import it again. 

either do 

- you first have to delete the existing project from the navigator (you must not delete it from the hd, "do not delete contents") 

- rename the project you want to import by manually changing the name in file .project
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well I&#39;ve gotten closer. I deleted all the projects I had (I&#39;ll have to deal with that problem later) and imported both the project and syslib projects one at a time as BadOmen suggests. Seems to go well, but a build/rebuild gives an error that the .ptf is needed: 

the entire error is: 

"*** No rule to make target `C:\qdesigns\neuralog\stratscan\stratscanner.ptf&#39;, needed by `C:/SRC/2004/stratscan/software/hello_world_0_syslib/Debug/system_description/../obj/generated_app.mk-t&#39;. Stop." 

The .ptf file is now in C:/SRC/2004/stratscan. This is set correctly in the System Library Properties, so I don&#39;t know why its looking in C:\qdesigns. 

Where else do/can you set the .ptf location? 

It would be real nice if I could just Open Project..., Browse for a/the project file and go to town. Too much to ask I guess... 

Thanks, 

Ken
0 Kudos