Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12387 Discussions

Preloader Make untar failing.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I am attempting to compile a new preloader on windows using SOCEDS 18.0...but am failing at untar'ing the uboot-socfpga.tar.gz.  

Chris@DESKTOP-NSSUV7O /cygdrive/f/VirtualBox VMs/share/rocketboards_image/17_1_DE10/DE0_NANO_SOC_18_0/software/spl_bsp 

$ make 

tar zxf /cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloader/uboot-socfpga.tar.gztar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '/cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloader/uboot-socfpga.tar.gz' 

make: *** [uboot-socfpga/.untar] Error 1 

Ideas? 

Besides the point, I am trying to change the SOC Workshop Kernel Module# 9 to use the FPGA 2 SDRAM instead of the FPGS 2 HPS (Heavyweight), by recompiling the preloader, as I've read this is why the FPGS 2 SDRAM is failing for me.  

Right now I'm reinstalling SOCEDS into virtual machine, and trying again.  

Project compiled with 18.0. SOCEDS is version 18.0 

Thanks!
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

My fix was to remove the untar from the makefile (run the tar xvf $(preloader.tar.gz) myself)and/or make sure the filepath does NOT have any spaces in it. Seemed to work for me for now. New preloader.bin generated!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

My fix was to remove the untar from the makefile (run the tar xvf $(preloader.tar.gz) myself)and/or make sure the filepath does NOT have any spaces in it. Seemed to work for me for now. New preloader.bin generated! 

--- Quote End ---  

I am experiencing the same with version 16.1. 

I have an older preloader, which I already have compiled (propablywith an older version). Just tried to recompile this one with version 16.1. 

It reported the same error. 

I can not see which version was used to generate this preloader/BSP. 

It make no difference whether I try to compile the old or the new preloader. Neighter will untar the source code. 

I can confirm, that if I copy the "tar" line from the error message and execute it directly in EDS command shell, it works fine.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Now I just tried the same on an other computer, running Windows 8.1, still Quartus 16.1 

What didn't work on a Windows 10 machine, worked fine on Windows 8.1 

This issue needs a solution
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello Bob, 

Can you please post the modified makefile you have created? 

Thank you 

Yossi
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Commet out lines 219/220 of preloader make file.  

# $(RM) $(PRELOADER_SRC_DIR) 

# $(untar_recipe) 

Run 

tar zxf /cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.0/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloader/uboot-socfpga.tar.gz 

then  

make 

from EDS prompt. 

I am not good enough with make to know what is going on, but this seems to be the band-aide for me right now.
MKami1
Beginner

In my case, the file "tar.exe" was in the folder "c:\window\system32". I ran "make -j -d" and at the end saw, that "make" would try to start "c:\windows\system32\tar.exe zxf ..." instead of cygwin path. Of course, windows tar can't to recognise unix path and finishes with error "File not found". So, I deleted "tar.exe" in "c:\window\system32" folder and this is a solution for this issue.

Julien
New Contributor I

Hi,

I stumbled upon the exact same issue, Quartus 18.0 & Windows 10 here.

MKami1 answer nailed it, however personnally I did not want to delete c:\windows\system32\tar.exe from my system, so instead I opted for a one line modification of the Makefile, to avoid swapping windows-style paths by unix-style paths for this specific command:

#$(UNTAR) $(shell cygpath --unix "$(if $1,$1,$(if $<,$<,$(error ERROR: no input provided to gnu make function untar_recipe)))")

$(UNTAR) $(if $1,$1,$(if $<,$<,$(error ERROR: no input provided to gnu make function untar_recipe)))

Works fine. There is probably a much better permanent fix, but I will let Altera care about it.

Cheers

Julien

AThap3
Beginner
Joakim
Novice

After getting some inspiration to your suggestions above, I found a pretty good solution.

Simply run /usr/bin/make instead of just make.

On my system it uses make from /cygdrive/c/intelFPGA/18.1/embedded/host_tools/gnu/make/H-x86_64-mingw32/bin/make instead of /usr/bin/make

MxZhk
Beginner
LLars
Novice

Thanks, I was having the same problem, then I commented out the two lines and it ran!