Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Problem accessing all available NOR flash memory running uCLinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I kindly request for your expertise to help me with this issue. I have been stuck with this problem about couple weeks already and have search and tried multiple suggestions but still no luck. This includes tried with the latest Linux driver. I have a custom board with a 128MByte NOR flash memory 16 bit databus Part:PC28F00AP33TFA, and am having trouble to access the entire memory. The uClinux was able to detect the NOR flash memory by printing this message: "20000000.flash: Found 1 x32 devices at 0x0 in 16-bit bank. Manufacturer ID 0x000089 Chip ID 0x008966" 

Intel/Sharp Extended Query Table at 0x010A 

Using buffer write method 

Using auto-unlock on power-up/resume 

cfi_cmdset_001: Erase suspend on write enabled 

erase region 0: offset=0x0,size=0x20000,blocks=1023 

erase region 1: offset=0x7fe0000,size=0x8000,blocks=4 

I know it know it understand there is 128MB because when I "cat /proc/mtd", the mtd0 size reported back is 08000000, which about 134MB, and detected erasesize is 00020000. However, when everything seems to be okay, I tried to "flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd0", I get error(s): 

Erasing 128Kibyte@ 0 -0% complete.20000000.flash: buffer write error (status 0xb0) 

flash_eraseall: /dev/mtd0: short write 

Not to mention, I can't mount my chip to mtdblock0:( I am using device tree (dts) configuration and am not sure if I missed anything? 

The following is my setup: 

In Qsys "Generic Tri-State Controller" setting: address width:27, data width:16, Byteenable width:2, Byte per word:2 

Top level HDL: 

output wire [25:0] flash_address, 

inout reg [15:0] flash_data, 

wire [26:0] addr_internal; 

assign flash_address = addr_internal[26:1]; 

In uClinux menuconfig:  

Device driver--> <*>Memory Technology Device (MTD) support-->  

<*> Command line partition table parsing 

<*>Openfirmware partitioning information support 

<*>Direct char device access to MTD devices 

-*- Common interface to block layer for MTD 'translation layers' 

<*> Caching block device access to MTD devices 

RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers--> 

<*> Detect flash chips by Common Flsah Interface (CFI) probe 

[*] Flash chip driver advanced configuration options (Flash cmd/query data swapping (NO) 

[*] Specific CFI Flash gemometry selection 

[*] Support 8-bit buswidth 

[*] Support 16-bit buswidth 

[*] Support 1-chip flash interleave 

[*] Support 2-chip flash interleave 

<*> Support for Intel/Sharp flash chips 

Mapping drivers for chip access --> 

<*> Flash device in physical memory map based on OF description //I disabled the Flash device in physical memory map 

In device tree: 

flash: flash@0x0 { 

compatible ="ALTR,cfi_flash-13.1", "cfi-flash"; 

reg =< 0x00000000 0x08000000 >; 

bank-width = < 2 >; 

device-width = < 1 >; 

}; 

The NOR memory works only if I access half of the memory (67MByte). No erase error or read/write problem, and mounted successful. The only different is configuration of the HDL address bus is 26 bits instead of 27 as following: 

In Qsys "Generic Tri-State Controller" setting: address width:26, data width:16, Byteenable width:2, Byte per word:2 

Top level HDL: 

output wire [25:0] flash_address, 

inout reg [15:0] flash_data, 

wire [25:0] addr_internal; 

assign flash_address = {1'b0, addr_internal[25:1]}; 

Any help is greatly appreciated:)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Days have gone by and I had tried several things but still no luck of resolving this issue. With this part I'm seeing MTD errors that I think I've traced to cfi_cmdset_0001.c that I'd like to ask about. I removed the commented CMDSET0001_DISABLE_ERASE_SUSPEND_ON_WRITE and CMDSET0001_DISABLE_WRITE_SUSPEND in cfi_cmdset_0001.c, but the result is the same "buffer write error (status 0xb0)". According to the datasheet, 0xb0 means program or erase suspend. I am able to flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0 without the "-j" clean marker, but when I tried to flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd0, it gives me the same error. why?