Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Problem creating a new project with existing source code.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello i am using NIOS2 SBT 11.0sp1 and i am trying make a new project with existing source code. 

When i select new project & bsp from template choosing hello world everything compiles and work. 

When i select new project & bsp from template choosing blank project and then adding my header files (properties -> application properties-> application libraries and inclues) and my source code (properties -> c/c++ builder path -> c/c++ source code) 

i get an undefined reference to main error pointing to the alt_main file in the bsp/hal/src folder 

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please refer to Nios II Developer's Handbook, page 6-37 and following, 

namely the section named "Boot Sequence and Entry Point". 

alt_main() is the standard entry point for a raw Nios application, while main() is the entry point for a HAL based application. In the latter, an alt_main function is automatically generated which provides system initialization and calls your application main(). 

If you don't use any template, you must define the entry point function: 

void alt_main(void)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cris72 thanks for the help. 

However i still get the same error. My .c file is the generated by the "hello world" template. Is really just a printf with hello world. 

I tried to change the main to alt_main but the error persists.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok now it works... even setting the path i have to click on the file and select "ADD TO NIOS2 BUILD". 

Isnt there an easier way? I have to do this to every path? Adding the library AND setting it as a nios2 build library.. seriously?
0 Kudos